Choose your top Archicad wishes!

Read more
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Slab edge beams not joining properly

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi there,

just wondering if anyone can help me with this query. I've searched but without knowing what I'm really asking, it is difficult to search.

I have edited a slab edge complex profile but they won't neatly join and I can't work out why. I'm not sure if it is to do with reference lines or what. I created a more complex one and it works fine. I'll attach a couple of photos and hopefully it might give a clue to what I'm doing wrong.

Hmmm, seems I can only add one at a time.

thanks for any help.

kind regards,

G.

Slab Beam connection.jpg
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable
Photo number two
slab Beam Profile.jpg
Erika Epstein
Booster
If all you are wanting is an angled edge for you slab as you show in your custom profile, you can do that directly by adjusting the edge of the slab.

Place your cursor in plan or 3D window on the edge you want to modify and click.
In the pop-up palette, select the edge modifier, the last button on the top right.
Adjust that edge or all the edges as desired.

As to your original question, hard to tell from your notes and screenshots. They can be buggy. Try adjusting the angle to less or more to see if that is the problem.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you Erika,

I appreciate your time. It is not the edge of the slab that I want to angle, it is the concrete 'slab beam'/thickening, that goes under the slab and sits on the footing as we construct for a double brick wall, or under a slab on a timber frame. The slab thickening that I created from scratch in ArchiCAD 18 works fine, and the footing with 2 course of bricks on the outside, works fine, it is just this concrete 'beam' that doesn't want to join properly, and it seems to be those round circles that are out of place that you can see in the picture that I need to be able to move. If I can't find out how to edit them, I'll try and just create one from scratch. I would just like to know more about creating complex profiles and learn more and do all my work at the same time.

On a side note, is there a way of putting a call out to Australian users that know our construction regulations?

kind regards,

G
Erika Epstein
Booster
Sorry it wasn't helpful. Hard to tell from your screenshots what is going on to correctly diagnose the problem.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
Geblues:

Some element(s) not shown in the 3D view may be interacting with the Beams (there also appear to be elements cutting the free ends of the Beams). Try dragging a copy of the two beams to the side of the model away from any other elements and see if you get the same result. If the copied Beams clean up correctly, then you will need to figure out what elements are interacting with the Beams.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks David,

Yes you were right. I hadn't realised that I hadn't tried that. I can't seem to figure it out. Maybe I'm just tired. I can actually see the right ends of the beam, not the left, showing through the two lower sub-courses of bricks. Unsure why one end is doing it. AC 19 has a square footing with this sub-course of bricks as standard issue, I just changed the dimensions a little and it works, the slab edge was also standard issue and I've changed the dimensions of that and it's acting strange. It sits on top of the strip footing and the slab sits on top. It's not really important and it shows up fine in the section view, it's just ticking me that it's not showing properly in the model, not that anyone is going to ask to see them, so my secret is safe

thanks for replying, I appreciate your imput.

G.
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
G.:

It is probably due to a Building Materials > Intersection Priority setting, where a stronger Building Material is breaking through a weaker one to make a connection. When you have time (and are less tired) you can do some study on this feature, using your misbehaving model as an example.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks David,

I did wonder about that. I'll check it out when I'm next on that project.

Funny Graphisoft support sent me a link a couple of days ago to something on your website about importing text data for site surveys, when I saw it I thought 'I know that name!' funny the timing of it.

Thanks again for your time.

Kind regards,

Gabrielle