BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Slab holes in 3D ok - cant see in 2D view

Anonymous
Not applicable
hi all

When i add a hole in a slab with the "-" button of the slab pet-tool-box i see the holes in 3D and in the 2D view.
When i use for example a column (or morph or slab) and the "Solid Element Operation" subtraction to get the hole in the slab i see it in 3D but not in 2D view.
Bug, option or "feature"?

i hope its a option - how can i see those holes?

thx for help!

BR Florian
8 REPLIES 8
Barry Kelly
Unfortunately SEOs do not show in 2D.
You will have to 'fake' it with lines and fills.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Bruce
Expert
Another option is to experiment with the invisible building material, set to a higher intersection priority
Bruce Walker
www.brucepwalker.com
Barking Dog BIM YouTube
Mindmeister Mindmap
-- since v8.1 --
AC27 5003 INT Full | Windows 11 64 Pro | 12th Gen Intel i7-12700H 2.30 GHz | 64 Gb RAM | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 32 Gb
Anonymous
Not applicable
hi

thank you for the fast reply Bruce and Barry.
When i told that my colleagues that they loughed at me. I cant believe it either.

I tried to get it done with invisible building material but and higher intersection proirity - no effect.

I dont give up - there must be way 😉

Florian
sinceV6
Advocate
Hi.
Yep. Really sad. I understand that floor plan views are a symbolic representation of the model that need to have enough flexibility to fulfill a broad range of graphic options to show what we need, but by now it should have evolved to have that graphic options on top of a true horizontal cut of the model. To have these omissions in floor plans -which are a view of the BIM model- is not exactly really pushing the "I" that this version strives for as that model information is nowhere to be seen in floor plans...
And I think that, besides the floor plan view generation concept being kind of weird, the real problem is not the SEOs but the tools themselves. A few versions ago some tools were updated to show SEOs in floor plans (e.g. the roof tool), but the wall and slab tools have not been updated in this matter.

That said, it would depend on what you need the holes for and their shape. If they are simple rectangular holes, you can use the floor opening symbol object in the 2D elements->graphic symbols folder. It has a 3D volume that you can use with SEOs to cut slabs and will give you the 2D you need. I scripted my own hole symbol to be able to link its height to specific building stories and have more display flexibility.
If holes are irregular or curved, you can use the invisible building material Bruce says and use priority, SEO or Merge, depending on what you use with that building material to create the slab hole.
You can of course create the holes within the slab tool like you mention. Just remember that if the hole is the same in several stories and you are going to edit it, do it in 3D in all the slabs at the same time.

Best regards.
Anonymous
Not applicable
hi sinceV6

thanks for reply and background info.
Can I test/ buy your slap object?

BR Florian
sinceV6
Advocate
Hi.
It is based on an object I posted a while back in this thread.
http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=37367

Just cleaned the code a lot and created a whole lot of more options for it to work the way I needed.

Best regards.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Either use the magic wand (or another method) to cut actual holes, or leave the columns which cut the holes by SEO turned on in plan view, with display settings to make them show as holes.
Karl Ottenstein
Yet another option is to select the slab that you've done the solid element ops on to subtract your columns ... right click > Convert Selection to Morph(s). A matching Morph element will replace your slab - and the holes will be visible everywhere.
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Learn and get certified!