BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Solid element operations on a target using only one skin in a multi-skin composite operator

Paul King
Advisor

Has anyone come up with a clever way to perform solid element upwards subtract extrusion operations on a target using only one skin in a multi-skin composite operator.

Materials in the composite operator element that I don't want to cut the target are set with lower materials priority than the target element material, and the material that I do want to act as a cutter has higher materials priority  - however when I attempt to use the operator on the target to do an upwards subtraction, the low priority material nevertheless cuts the target anyway.

No doubt I am missing something obvious here, but can anyone assist?

Crude markup below

This is a composite roof consisting of a plywood skin on an insulation skin, where I want only the plywood part to cut the rafters with upwards extrusion.

The red dots indicate extent of desired cutting of the rafters, and the green dots indicate the base of the rafters that should be left uncut by the operator element.

What actually happens is that the base of the cut is from the base of the insulation, even though materials priority of insulation is lower than for the rafters it is cutting.

2023-06-01_00-29-49.jpg

2023-06-01_00-29-49.jpg
PAUL KING | https://www.prime.net.nz
ArchiCAD 8-27 | Twinmotion 2023
Windoze 11 PC | Intel Core i9 10900K | Nvidia Gforce RTX 3080 | 32 Gb DDR3 | 2x4K monitor extended desktop
14 REPLIES 14
Paul King
Advisor

Thanks Eduardo - that would be a valid workaround  - but there are a lot of beams , and a lot of notching of beams in this project, and relying on manually sizing each notch/beam segment height under sloping roof elements would mean the cut notches could not update automatically when the roofing element moves, changes slope or size.   

In this case the roofing element represents the base of a gutter (one of many), each of which is set to a small fall.

Windoze 11 PC | Intel Core i9 10900K | Nvidia Gforce RTX 3080 | 32 Gb DDR3 | 2x4K monitor extended desktop

After more careful though I deleted my comment (and you answered too fast) since it is a roof condition (not a slab) and I presumed your comment.

Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Eduardo Rolon

Using Openings might be an option since I don't think you can SEO with skins.

EduardoRolon_1-1685538748986.png

Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

another Moderator

Eduardo Rolon

The bottom of the opening matches the Roof Pitch and it is relatively easy to edit in section

Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

another Moderator

Hi, yes, it could be an option for someone with an already resolved design - but the design is currently fluid, and I need a way to iterate to test the impact of changes to roof fall geometry on beam notching  - with a hundred beams, and many roof segments, and many ways to lay the roof and gutters.  The whole aim of the exercise for me is to let ArchiCAD do the work for each iteration.

I could have sworn that materials priority was supposed to take precedence when it come to SEO  

In that case then it might be easier to model the roof separately instead of using a composite.

Remember that Roofs do not work well with BMats which is the reason for the connect command.

Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

another Moderator

OK, the plot thickens - when I just view the roof element in 3D, materials priority is not leaving holes in the insulation where the beams pass through it.  So something else may be underlying the issue

The beams and the roof are on the same intersection priority in the displayed later combination, for what that is worth, but I must be missing something, because it seems material priority is not working at all.

Paul King
Advisor

OK, a nasty workaround was to add another invisible skin on top of the roof composite  that has materials priority 999, then to select all beams and roofs and use Connect/Merge Elements - this gave the intended result in 3D (visually) - but then of course roof level markers give the wrong readings....

Yes, another workaround would be to use a simple roof rather than a composite roof for the cutting, and make a lower down copy of this, changed to insulation material as the insulation layer  - but then I would have two roofs to manage through each iteration I submit for discussion, and I would get a geometrically distorted result if I simply copied the same roof down and changed materials - because not all roof pitches are the same, and thickness of material needs to be measured normal to slope, not vertically - so junctions between roof planes at different pitches would need to shift around and be offset between one skin and the next - a horror show!

Remember the Connect-> Merge Command

The 2 cutting the insulation are merged to the roof.

EduardoRolon_0-1685540799938.png

Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

another Moderator

Learn and get certified!