BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Sometimes, when i try to orbit by pressing Shift+Middle Mouse Button, my camera restores its view.

Anonymous
Not applicable
It happens really frequently too. I'll go about my business, orbiting and panning with the middle mouse button + shift, and then suddenly, i'm teleported to the "restore view" view, in the model space, and i have to find my way back to where i were.

I've found a way to replicate it. Try going into 3D view, and orbit around a bit, and delete something. Now, hold shift and press middle-mousebutton. You should be teleported back to the "restore view"-view.
12 REPLIES 12
Barry Kelly
Are you sure you are not double clicking the middle button?
Or maybe it is a sideways click.
I don’t have ArchiCAD with me at the moment but I think double click does a fit to window.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Barry wrote:
Are you sure you are not double clicking the middle button?
Or maybe it is a sideways click.
I don’t have ArchiCAD with me at the moment but I think double click does a fit to window.

Barry.
Yes, i'm sure. All i have to do is delete an object or morph in 3d view, and press shift+middle mouse button, and it happens. I would be interested in other users trying this out for themselves. Though i just found out that it doesn't actually "restore view" it seems, it just teleports the view to a specific point that doesn't have anything to do with any stored views. But it's always the same point.
Daniel Kovacs
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hello,

I also tried it on macOS and Windows, and it works perfectly for me. Maybe you are not double-clicking the mouse, but more often than not these kinds of issues come down to faulty hardware/driver.

Could you try to use a different set of keyboard+mouse (different brand and model), and also uninstall all keyboard/mouse drivers?

Thanks,
Daniel Alexander Kovacs

Professional Services Consultant

GRAPHISOFT

For Troubleshooting and useful Tips & Tricks visit
Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm using the keyboard and trackpad that's built into my laptop, and it still teleports me when i click orbit after deleting an object. I can't really install new drivers for those.

My laptop is from 2017, so i see no reason why it shouldn't work.
Barry Kelly
Do you have a mouse with a scroll wheel that you can plug into your laptop to give that a go?
I always use a mouse and have never had any problems - much easier for panning and zooming than on a trackpad.
I will give your trackpad method a go a little later.

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes, i also have a mouse, and have tried it as well, and it still happens with whatever tools i use. This isn't a problem with my mouse or keyboard drivers, I'm very confident of that. My laptop has a touch screen. I can even use the touch screen to select the "orbit" after deleting an object, and the bug still occurs.
Barry Kelly
I just gave it a try and don't seem to be having any trouble.
Except for my un-coordination with the trackpad.

I don't have a touch screen so I am not sure if that may be affecting anything.

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Anonymous
Not applicable
As i just said, there's no way my inputs are affecting anything, as i've been trying with 3 different methods of pressing the orbit button (mouse, trackpad, touch screen) and i've even tried with the touch screen disabled, and i get exactly the same result every time. This is clearly a software issue. Have you tried it on the educational version? That's the one i'm using. More specifically, Archicad-22-64 EDU
Daniel Kovacs
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi,

Does it happen with every project? Even if you just create a new model, and place a single wall in it?

Could you shoot a quick video of this? I would like to see what ARCHICAD does exactly (maybe something flashes that could give us an idea).

Also, after you are done with the video, please shut down ARCHICAD and get the Fastlogger Files. These logs should contain information about what ARCHICAD was doing when this happened, maybe it would have some useful info for us.

Thanks,
Daniel Alexander Kovacs

Professional Services Consultant

GRAPHISOFT

For Troubleshooting and useful Tips & Tricks visit
Learn and get certified!