Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Space bar not bringing up the magic wand on Mac ?

mthd
Mentor

Hi, I am running AC24 and the space bar brings up the magic wand on my Windows PC but it will not work on my Mac for some reason ?

I am using the Apple magic keyboard for m1 Mac machine, anybody know what I need to do to get the magic wand to come up with the space bar ?

AC8.1 - AC27 ARM AUS + CI Tools
Apple Mac Studio M1 Max Chip 10C CPU
24C GPU 7.8TF 32GB RAM OS Ventura
9 REPLIES 9

It will work if you restart Archicad. We’ve had this issue with various macs in our office both MacBooks and iMacs and Intel or arm based. Support are aware but we can’t find what causes it to stop working. 

Lee Hankins
ArchiCAD 4.5 - Archicad 27UKI Apple Silicon 27.1.1
macOS Sonoma (14.2)

Unfortunately it doesn’t work for me on my system whether I restart Archicad 24 or not. I also tested it on AC25 & 26 demo versions and it still wouldn’t work for me. 

I can still use the magic wand from the drop down design menu for now.

I don't have a Mac, so not sure of a solution.

But it sounds to me that you have another program running that is 'high-jacking' the spacebar shortcut.

I have no idea what it might be, but can you stop all other applications (especially those running in the background) and have just Archicad running.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
mthd
Mentor

I don’t have any problems with it working on my windows machine but you could be right because I used a MS keyboard and it still wouldn’t work.

I was doing a little searching and it seems Macs do have their own operating system shortcuts.

https://community.graphisoft.com/t5/Modeling/My-magnet-stopped-working/m-p/214618/highlight/true#M11...

It also seems restarting the machine fixes it, but sometimes it comes back.

That makes me think even more that it is another application blocking the spacebar shortcut.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

it could be something to do with he spacebar being a shortcut for both Quickview and activating Spotlight on the Mac. It could be conflicting with Archicad.

Lee Hankins
ArchiCAD 4.5 - Archicad 27UKI Apple Silicon 27.1.1
macOS Sonoma (14.2)
mthd
Mentor

I am still troubleshooting this problem. I have followed the link above and gone into, system preferences, keyboard, keyboard shortcuts and there are a couple of checked shortcuts for spotlight settings that have the space bar press in them. I unchecked these and rebooted the Mac but I still cannot get the magic wand  tool to show up with a space bar press in AC24 or 25.

I will have to continue my troubleshooting after I update my operating system in the future. Till then I will just have to access the magic wand from the drop down design menu.

Edit: I have upgraded my OS to Ventura and I still can’t get the magic wand via the space bar. I am just accessing it from the control box pet pallet till I figure it out from the KB settings in the macOS.

MF BIM
Booster

Hi,

I noticed this same issue today. I'm currently using AC24 + M1 Pro but with my laptop keyboard and can't use the magic wand with spacebar. It also doesn't work in AC21 but it actually works with AC26 so I don't really know where the problem is coming from. I'll try to find the differences in my setup between the 24 and 26 versions to pinpoint the problem if I can.

Anyway, for AC24, I ended up remapping the shortcut to "@" as it wasn't in use.

https://mfbim.fr | https://youtube.com/@mfbim
AC21 FRA 3005 - AC24 FRA 7600 - AC26 FRA 4027 | MacBook M1 Pro

I also have remapped the magic wand polygon but to the key under escape for now. I am still having the problems in all versions from 24 - 27 on Mac. No problems with windows though.

Thank you for your reply.