Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Split Wall Materials

toman311
Enthusiast
So, I have this wall. About a 1/3rd is in the interior of the home and the other 2/3rds is on the exterior of the home. On the exterior side the 2/3rds is going to be shingled and the 1/3rd needs to have gypsum board. The other side is all gypsum board. The only way I can think of modeling this is to use a morph and cut the wall along the roof line which divides the wall into 2/3rds and 1/3rd parts. I would have to draw another wall and use another morph to cut this wall. With this, I would have an accurately modeled wall for this situation. Is there any other way of doing this?

Why can't he use the split tool to split a wall along the y-axis like we can on the x-axis. If I could split that wall along the y-axis, then should be able to control the materials of each part of the split wall separately. Would this be a good wish to add to the list?
>ArchiCAD 23, 7000 USA FULL

>iMac, 27-inch, 2020, Processor: 3.8 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i7, Memory: 64 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Graphics: AMD Radeon Pro 5500 XT 8 GB
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable
First of all, Yes it might be a good wish. And second you could use complex profile to do this wall. If is how I understood, it should be easy.
toman311
Enthusiast
The wall needs to be split on an angle because it is along a roof line of the story below. I wish complex profiles could control wall materials along an angle instead of only a straight line (unless there is something I don't know of!?). I attached a picture of the issue. The pink line shows where the wall needs to have a skin change. The wall is white because it needs to be gypsum board on the part below the 1st story roof. The second story wall needs to have shingles on it. So, I am left with the issue of splitting this wall at an angle. I know I could use the morph to cut the wall, create a new wall and then cut that wall too all at the roof edge. I wish there was a quicker way, like cutting the wall along the y-axis.
>ArchiCAD 23, 7000 USA FULL

>iMac, 27-inch, 2020, Processor: 3.8 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i7, Memory: 64 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Graphics: AMD Radeon Pro 5500 XT 8 GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Ok, now I understand your problem, and I also wish there could be a straight forward way of doing this, of working with the wall composite layers.

How I would do it is either, I'll do the shingles outside with another wall the thickness of the shingles and cut with the roof. Or stretch the roof geometry behind the exterior wall in the front to be underneath the wall in subject, and make two walls, one inside and one above the roof, and use the cut element to roof.
Whatever work better for u.
It gets a little more complicated if your are trying to model for the sake of accurate wall schedules, wall ID tags, and correct graphics in both 2D and 3D, Sections...

It can be done. It's just not very easy. I used (4) walls to make this gable end wall and some SEO. It is sometimes easier to use some fills in the Section than to model some things correctly.

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

I model the roofs as a simple roof, not a composite, so it can be used with Solid Element Operations to take the siding off of the wall where I don't want it. Also because I trim off pieces of it at the gable ends to use as barge rafters, drip edge,trim... If you extend the roof sheathing into a wall the thickness of the siding you can use it to trim off (extract with downward extrusion) the siding where you don't want it.
2016-06-28_13-18-33.png

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25