Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Stair tool, sloped riser face at nosing edge

This is an existing stair, from the '70s. Cast in place reinforced concrete, concrete screed, rubber flooring.

On the left the closest I am getting to so far with the Stair Tool. I can't get the sloping riser finish face to meet at a (sharp or rounded) edge with the tread finish face —instead I get that tiny overhang, which will get worse if I set a larger tread finish thickness (say screed + rubber) and almost disappear if I set it close to 0, but then because the nosing fillet is set within the thread finish thickness the fillet will almost disappear too.

What would be the way of dealing with this using the Stair Tool?
11 REPLIES 11
Lingwisyer
Guru
Could you just define the entire tread and riser as a Complex Profile as is?

Ling.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660 
Barry Kelly
Have you tried using the 'Profiled Riser' and then creating your own custom complex profile for the riser?
It can then be any shape you want (but it won't include the tread nosing).

Try a 'Filleted' nosing rather than a round or possibly even a custom complex profile for that as well.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
I would create custom Treads and Risers in the Profile Manager and use the "Profiled Tread 23" and "Profiled Riser 23" GDL Objects, for the Tread and Riser, respectively.

Another possible solution is to turn off Risers, and use only Treads. Then I would create Profile in the Profile Manager that would represent a single Tread+Riser combo so their connection would be smooth.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Lingwisyer
Guru
Duplicate post: https://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=69280&p=308137#p308137

Barry Kelly
Lingwisyer wrote:
Duplicate post: https://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=69280&p=308137#p308137
Duplicates have been merged.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
First attempt with profiled treads and risers, which I figured might be convenient until I understand how stretchiness works or not in these profiled components. [Initially I made the riser stretchy vertically only, and the tread stretchy horizontally leaving the nosing untouched.]

Runs work beautifully, but damned them stairs have landings. Quick and dirty is slab to complete landing flooring, any better idea please let me know.
Lingwisyer
Guru
Yeah... I have not figured out how to manage custom treads at landings...

Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi All,

Thank you for sharing the experience!

Placing custom treads for landing can be difficult, as it takes some trial-and-error to get it to work right.

Here is my example with a custom profile placed as treads for landing. Please find the process in the attached GIF below (it's a heavy one, so let me know if it works )

I hope this will give you an idea on how to make the custom tread profile to work on landing.

I wish you all a great day, and take care!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT

mnguyen wrote:
Here is my example with a custom profile placed as treads for landing. Please find the process in the attached GIF below (it's a heavy one, so let me know if it works )
[GIF works beautifully, Minh.]

Can you make that work with a profile including a built-in nosing and a landing polygon that has been reshaped?

- I first tried with 'Uniform Finish in Flight and Landing', and I get a typical tread depth, with 'Front' nosings all around; when I click on the left side of the polygon to make it 'left', it disappears as in the last picture.

- I then duplicated the profile for a landing-specific variation, keeping the origin and making much wider (deeper tread), and get the second-from-bottom picture; things disappear as soon as I start assigning 'left' (or right) side to the other polygon edges;

- I then made the profile width exactly what was needed for the top of the first run, but things get weird and again disappear as I start assigining left and right sides.

Then again I wouldn't think profile width can be the issue, because then things would get weird again as soon as I edited the landing polygon. So I can't tell what is going on.