BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Stair w/ custom wooden balusters

Tom Krowka
Booster
Any way to subtitute custom baluster in a stair. In railing dialogue, wooden railing type, would like to put in my own style.
Tom Krowka Architect
Windows 11, AC Version 26
Thomas@wkarchwk.com
www.walshkrowka.com
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Tom
Not really the answer you'd like I'll suppose, but:
If you convert either an AC or Cadimage stair to a morph, the balusters can be selected individually and edges softened, which they then look round.
Maybe there's more morphed baluster tricks to be explored??
Tom Krowka
Booster
I appreciate the thought, but there are too many to do individually. That would take a long time, and then I guarantee the client would change baluster styles.

I think the balusters could be custom way back in AC 9 or 10, but I don't have them on my machine any more anyway.

Tom
Tom Krowka Architect
Thomas@wkarchwk.com
www.walshkrowka.com
Anonymous
Not applicable
Tom wrote:
I appreciate the thought, but there are too many to do individually. That would take a long time, and then I guarantee the client would change baluster styles.

I think the balusters could be custom way back in AC 9 or 10, but I don't have them on my machine any more anyway.

Tom
Your right, it's not a good solution, but when I said "individually", I meant from the rest of the stair parts. ie all the balusters can be group selected and have their edges softened all at once.
Thought it was interesting though, having discovered it by accident.
But I've moved on to C.I. stairs now anyway.
So good bye worst AC tool ever:-)
Tom Krowka
Booster
Good trick to keep in mind. I used to use CI products, but with multiple machines it got to be a pain in the xxx to upgrade AC and CI constantly. I try to keep it out of the AC box only for simplicity sake. But that does have it's negatives as well.

Tom
Tom Krowka Architect
Thomas@wkarchwk.com
www.walshkrowka.com
Karl Ottenstein
ArchiStair (Cigraph ArchiSuite) and Cadimage allow for must more customization than Stairmaker. After years of wishes, it would seem anyone holding their breath for improvements within ArchiCAD itself will die from lock of oxygen. Purchasing one of these add-ons, or faking it - e.g., generate stair with NO balusters, and then create your own and multiply/elevate - is the only reasonable way to move forward.
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
But not even C.I. or Cigraphs Stairs will do a residential wood framed double winder stair like it would really be built in the image of one I created a few years back. It was made out of roofs/slabs and beams if I remember correctly.
But now instead of roofs I'd use Objective.
The guardrails I only did in 2D, but now I think they could be done as Morphs.
It even has the 2x spacers alongside the stringers for S.R. and trim skirt.
Learn and get certified!