Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Stairmaker & Fill Categories

owen
Newcomer
I'm having one of those 'I could swear i'd used this before' moments ...

Stairmaker only shows Drafting-category fills in the dialogs for the sectional properties of the stair structure!?!?

Am i missing something or is that how its meant to be?

In what world GS does it make sense that my CUT FILLS are not available in a dialog to define what fills are seen when i CUT THE STAIR?

sorry bad day but illogical crap like this always seems to come up at these times

or does everyone just make all their fills available in all categories to avoid situations like this? i'd just like to keep the fill list relevant (and 'help' people to use the correct fills)
cheers,

Owen Sharp

Design Technology Manager
fjmt | francis-jones morehen thorp

iMac 27" i7 2.93Ghz | 32GB RAM | OS 10.10 | Since AC5
6 REPLIES 6
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
This must be a bug.
I will report it to GS.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
owen
Newcomer
Lazlo,

Now i'm sure I'm going crazy - if this is a bug its not new. I've just checked in AC14 and same problem .. fills in stair maker are limited to Drafting category.

.. and its not just stairs. Frame settings in doors and windows also only allow Drafting fills (in 14 & 15)

i guess they won't regard this as a bug ... but i'd certainly call it sloppy QA or application of one's own logic (just read the Help on Fill Categories and tell me this usage of Drafting fills makes sense)

os
cheers,

Owen Sharp

Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
So it looks like it is a more general problem.
I have sent the report so I am sure they will investigate it.

If you see it anyplace else please post it because that also helps their work.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
owen
Newcomer
OK this seems to be a bug in the fills being made available to GDL elements in their settings dialogs - it affects all objects I have tested, including custom objects so I know its not a scripting issue. Also the problem doesn't occur in the GDL Editor environment as you can actually use an fill when setting a parameters default value.

To test:

1. I drew a Cut fill on plan and saved as an object and placed. The GDL 'hard-coded' Cut Fill shows.
2. I edited the auto-script to make the fill type parametric. The Cut Fill is available in the fill selection dialog in the GDL Editor so set this to be the default parameter value.
3. The object displays the Cut Fill used as the default fill parameter in the Object Settings dialog
4. Now if I try to change the parameter value, the Cut Fills are not available in the fill selection dialog.

Apologies for the image rotation .. forum has a stupid 1600 wide x 1200 high limitation ... so my 1400 high x 1000 wide image wasn't accepted. Again, please fix the ridiculous file size limitations .. its 2011. I'm sure GS can afford a few more TB's to store the forum data. I know you can link to external sites but these links go dead in time, devaluing the refering posts

cheers,

os
cheers,

Owen Sharp

Anonymous
Not applicable
owen wrote:
.. forum has a stupid 1600 wide x 1200 high limitation ...

cheers,

os
I'd like to second that!
Judit Boros
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Dear Owen and Users,

Thank you for this Talk-report. We investigated this issue and we plan to correct it as soon as possible.
Please note that in the next upcoming Hotfix ( due February) this can not be included yet.

Regards,
Judit Boros

Technical Support Team

Graphisoft

Budapest, Hungary

archicadwiki - the ArchiCAD knowledge base