Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Stairs - Help - title says it all

rob2218
Enthusiast
Please...need help with the "stairs"
see attached.
getting error that states something about can't make the tread what I want to make it or the nosing can't be the distance I need it....

GS, ya really gotta get these stairs dialed in...but for now...help.
...Bobby Hollywood live from...
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Windows7 -OS, MAC Maverick OS
6 REPLIES 6
rob2218
Enthusiast
ok, SO...here's what I don't get.
I can adjust the length of the nosing to be "just close enough" to the right number at 1-1/2" but I need the nosing to be EXACTLY 1" from the riser face...yet when I put 1-3/4" (meaning 1" of nosing and 3/4" of risers thickness) I get that error message?

WTheck guys?
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Anonymous
Not applicable
Your error is one I have not experienced - and if I had the air would be blue and I would have less hair (and I don't have a lot). But realizing those conditions, it would appear that your stair thinks it is something it is not. I tried to recreate the situation and haven't as yet succeeded. Have you tried to do another stair to see if the condition is isolated or consistent?

I will give it another go to see if I can get it to show.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Sorry about the double post - must be a twitchy finger.. Tried the "build a stair" deal and did not elicit an error. Probably the first time ever that I did not get one. I found, however that dimensioning in the section window doesn't work for me so I made an annotated 3d and dimensioned that without any errors - Maybe building it new will correct the problem.
rob2218
Enthusiast
Here's what I've been told by a good Archicad guru felllow.
If the tread edges at the landing tread where the stair treads and risers are overlap then the stairs will get freaked out and can't seem to calculate nor create the stair properly.......yet in real life, stairs have offset tread edges ALL THE TIME, yet for some reason the formula associated with creating these treads and risers goes haywire......such a shame.

see attached explanation in 3D.
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Anonymous
Not applicable
Rob
It is interesting that this condition causes the problem as I have had the situation a lot of times. Mine usually work out somehow - but I will be looking for this condition with the next double back that has to be solved. Thanks for the challenge and the explanation.
rob2218
Enthusiast
you're welcome.
I run into this issue ALL the time.
Seems the stair creator can not seem to accept that the tread faces (vertical plane of the treads themselves) overlap. When the overlap occurs, the software programming gives you that error warning that you simply can not work around except to increase that "gap" where the treads are LESS THAN the gap itself.
that's terrible really cause stair tread edges at where a stair switches back overlap ALL the time in the real world.
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23