Choose your top Archicad wishes!

Read more
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Stairs - What's the best to make "this one"?

rob2218
Enthusiast
we need a custom stair. see diagram.
what's the best method to use?
I've already tried the "fill and line" method and it doesn't work right.
Please advise all you AC15 guru's.

thanks,

RR

STAIR-OBJECT-QUESTION.jpg
...Bobby Hollywood live from...
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Windows7 -OS, MAC Maverick OS
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable
I think Archistair would do a nice job with it. If you dont have it you can build it using a combo os slab and roof tools to make it really custom. It's a little bit o f work, I know, but with no add ons I think it's better than stairmaker.
Hope it is helpful.
rob2218
Enthusiast
yes...I thought about making the treads our ot 1-1/2" thick slabs (all different pie shapes), then making the risers out of 1/2" thck walls with a "hidden line" display. Then once I had the entire stair built, I'd group them all together and do a "SAVE OBJECT AS" function, create one single object, edit that objects 2d script image with single linework and be done with it....but what a hassle.
...Bobby Hollywood live from...
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Windows7 -OS, MAC Maverick OS
vfrontiers
Enthusiast
You will definitely find SLABS and WALLS a better solution!... Railings will be sketchy, but using the different stand alone railings that come with AC should suffice (or create them yourself w/ TUBES and PICKETS)..

Slab your treads just as you've already drawn them. One trick I like to use is

1. draw your first tread with top at 0' 0" (match low floor level)
2. multiply by DISTRIBUTE -1 with number of stairs and FLR to FLR offset
3. Option click to transfer these heights to the actual stair treads that match your plan...

Let me know if I didn't explain that well...

THEN... if there is no UNDER STAIR SPACE, simply use a SLAB as the BODY of the stair structure and SEO the treads with UPWARD EXTRUSION. You can specify the linetype of the structure slab as hidden and add the hidden lines for the nosing line as shown in your drawing..
Duane

Visual Frontiers

AC25 :|: AC26 :|: AC27
:|: Enscape3.4:|:TwinMotion

DellXPS 4.7ghz i7:|: 8gb GPU 1070ti / Alienware M18 Laptop
Anonymous
Not applicable
Another vote for slabs and roofs. IME walls don't really work well for creating risers and/or stringers. For the corners use the cylinder shell trimming the bottom with the ramp (SEO) and trimming the top with the treads. You'l have to create a new material for the cylinders set at the angle of the stringer if you plan to show a rendering of it.

On a side note I would change the layout as the way it is now you will end up with a "lumpy" rail system. I would also move the newel post at the top of the stairs back at least one tread length and use an over-easing instead of a gooseneck.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Over easing at top of stair