Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Team Work - corrupt plp

Anonymous
Not applicable
I work in an office with mostly G5 MAC users. We are on OS 10.3.9. I sometimes work on a WinXP PC to free up some of the faster machines (as was the case this time). The cross platform has not seemed to have caused any problems as of yet.

Eight of us were working on a 91meg plp and sent our changes at the end of the day. It appeared that all of the changes were exchanged between members. The next morning when everyone signed in, the changes were not there. A few of us made a couple of minor changes as a test and it appeared that the changes were sending (no error messages), but the plp did not keep any of them. We had to revert to an older back-up and each of us lost about 8-10 hrs of work (times 8!). Not cool during a deadline crunch!

The same day another team had a layout book go corrupt. Everytime it was opened and someone selected a sheet, the file would crash. They were trying to send out a set that day and could not import any of the sheets into a new book or it would crash as well. They had to resort to a 2 day old back up that was of course 2 long days worth of work out of date.

This is very frustrating and freightening when "all your eggs are in one basket." Not a shining day for ArchiCAD.
3 REPLIES 3
Aussie John
Newcomer
when you sent and received at the end of the day did your clients update to gain any of the info of the other clients?

Its been a while but i think I had some success using an older admin file when things went pear shaped.
Cheers John
John Hyland : ARINA : www.arina.biz
User ver 4 to 12 - Jumped to v22 - so many options and settings!!!
OSX 10.15.6 [Catalina] : Archicad 22 : 15" MacBook Pro 2019
[/size]
Anonymous
Not applicable
Everyone was eager to leave at the end of the day, so no one noticed whether or not the changes made it. The next day we tested it and changes were not making it back to the plp. I've never tried using an old admin file for a current plp. Does it "remember" old workspace? What if layers have been added or subtracted?
Aussie John
Newcomer
Either the admin or the PLP files are corrupted.
The admin file only remembers the sign-in IDs so if you can trick the file to letting you resend to an earlier version of the PLP. As I said it was a while ago but i am fairly sure that is what i have previously managed to do.

On a couple of quick tests it seems to work. You can replace the admin file or both the admin file and PLP from a previous backup and send and receive from the client files.

If you are in the plp file do a receive only to bring in the client file info.

I think that is how it works
Cheers John
John Hyland : ARINA : www.arina.biz
User ver 4 to 12 - Jumped to v22 - so many options and settings!!!
OSX 10.15.6 [Catalina] : Archicad 22 : 15" MacBook Pro 2019
[/size]