BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Tracker interfering with drag operations ACv16

Anonymous
Not applicable
When I pick up an object the tracker appears to the lower right hand side of the pointer like it should. But if I move my pointer in that direction, I have to move slow, molasses slow, otherwise my pointer overruns the tracker and ruins the drag operation forcing me to wait for it to update and release the object so I can pick it up again which is seconds long. And unfortunately I do this all, let me reiterate, ALL the time.

Is there a way to control the tracker speed and/or position? There doesn't seem to be a way in the options. And is this the same in v17? I've Google and it seems to be just me that's having the problem but any advice would be very welcome as this is ruining my AC experience having to move slow one direction but can move fast the other (not saying I want to move slow in both directions).
6 REPLIES 6
NandoMogollon
Advocate
sounds like a bug....
... and I'm assuming your'e really talking about the tracker, not the pet palette, right?
Nando Mogollon
Director @ BuilDigital
nando@buildigital.com.au
Using, Archicad Latest AU and INT. Revit Latest (have to keep comparing notes)
More and more... IFC.js, IFCOpenShell
All things Solibri and BIMCollab
Anonymous
Not applicable
Yeah, it's the tracker and not the pet pallet. And it's too bad since I have an expensive high resolution mouse and it's nice to be able to whip the pointer around all three monitors with just a flick of the wrist.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I figured out what was going on so I'm going to reply to this for prosperity's sake.

My computer is too slow and it takes about a half a second for the tracker to fully load up. When I click on something and go to move the mouse in that direction the tracker forms under the pointer and faults the drag command. I'm starting to notice maybe some of my AC problems are related to this older machine just not being able to keep up with AC. Since I've installed v16 it's been a blessing on one hand (AC doesn't freeze up during autosave), but on the other hand, I have to move really slow to allow my computer to keep up with AC.

So until I upgrade I'm having to wait about a second and half after each command or selection to let AC do it's thing. It's painful but much better than constant problems I've been having.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
That system in your signature looks pretty old. How old is it, 7-8 years?
I can totally imagine that this is what causes the slowness, not only because of ArchiCAD but also the operating system also demands a lot more today than it did 7-8 years ago in terms of memory requirement and performance.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
It's a late 2008-early 09 laptop. I know it's old but the video card makes it still a usable laptop. And since I don't really play games any more I don't need to keep up with the latest graphics. Just enough to get my modeling done and this does pretty good other than complex profiles where it chokes on the crunching.

This laptop actually came with Vista (terrible OS) but Win7 runs great and hardly challenges the laptop at all. Also, I move my laptop around a lot and I have four, kind of five, regular monitor configurations and this laptop with Win7 handles each transition seamlessly with Windows remembering each configuration and how I set the desktop up and which programs open where. And I'm running four monitors at a time when I'm in my primary spot and I model as well as play videos at the same time and this computer seems to hardly notice. The computer is just fast enough that I don't notice it's an older computer. That's why it's hard to replace it.

But I'm wondering now if it's not so much the system but the autosave. For curiosity sake I turned the autosave down from ultrasafe to safe and the heaviness of AC16 seems to have lessened considerably. I may leave it there until I get a new computer since an occasional lost five minutes of work I can handle if it means I don't have to fight AC being sluggish all the time.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Oh, yes, I mixed up my two previous computers when trying to guess the age of yours. The one I bought with the same processor as yours was 5 years ago, the older one with a Core One processor was 8 years ago.

Interesting find about the Autosave. So saving after each step makes your system respond noticable slower? This might be something the guys at GS will be interested in. I will let them know.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Learn and get certified!

Still looking?

Browse more topics

Back to forum

See latest solutions

Accepted solutions

Start a new discussion!