BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Unlink detail marker from detail drawing?

My checked 'Link to Detail Drawing' in the Info Box is grayed and I can't make the change from there. The same with the button in the tool settings. And of course I can't delete the detail from the project map.

What am I missing here?
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable
Ignacio wrote:
What am I missing here?
Version 10? (just a guess)...
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
What is it that you want to do? I assume you are referring to an existing detail?

'Link to Detail Drawing' or more correctly 'Link this Marker to an available Detail Drawing' simply means that the detail marker has a detail drawing window linked to it. As opposed to an independent detail that has a detail drawing window, but does not have a marker. (These are useful for inserting such independent items as legends into).

You can tell the difference between the two of these by looking at your navigator. If the particular detail icon has a box around it, it is linked to a detail marker. If it has no box around it, it is independent and has no marker.

Additionally, a linked detail can have multiple detail markers - the original marker and any further markers that have either been copied around the project or created by using the 'Link this Marker to an available Detail Drawing'.

To determine which is the original marker, you can right click on the detail in the navigator and select 'Select Detail marker on the Source View and zoom to it'. That's your original (or source view) and if you move or alter it in any way it will affect the detail drawing of any other marker that is linked to it (if you rebuild it from the source view by right clicking on it in the Navigator).

If you want to change the detail window that such a detail marker is linked to, you can open the Detail Settings dialog and hit the Browse button next to 'Link this Marker to an available Detail Drawing'.

If you want to change such a marker and have it create a new detail window of it's own, you will need to delete it and insert a new one, this time unchecking 'Link this Marker to an available Detail Drawing' and checking 'Create New Detail Drawing Window'. This is just a limitation of the software.

If you want to create a detail window with no marker, you need to create an independent detail. Do this by one of the following methods:

1. Tools>Create Independent Detail...;
2. Right click on the Details folder in the Navigator and select 'New Independent Detail...';
3. Place a new detail marker and then delete the marker from your workspace - this will leave just the detail drawing window in the Navigator.

If you want to delete an independent detail drawing window, simply right click on it in the Navigator and select 'Delete Detail'

If you want to delete a linked detail entirely, you need to delete the marker first, and then delete the resulting independent detail drawing window, by simply right clicking on it in the Navigator and selecting 'Delete Detail'

I hope this helps.

Cheers,
Link.
Link wrote:
What is it that you want to do? I assume you are referring to an existing detail?
I was referring to an existing detail marker. Since it has that checkbox in the info box, I had always ass-umed that I could unlink the marker from its detail --to keep the marker as a dumb marker (in this case I decided the enlarged floor plans will not be details after all, but a different view of the floor plan, and I don't want to re-do the marker), to keep the detail as a dumb detail, or to unlink and re-direct in the way you can do with drawings in Plotmaker.

The checkbox seems to be always grayed out though.
__archiben
Booster
Ignacio wrote:
I was referring to an existing detail marker. Since it has that checkbox in the info box, I had always ass-umed that I could unlink the marker from its detail --to keep the marker as a dumb marker
there are two main types of detail: those that have original content and those that are merely pointing the way to those details with original content. if your detail is one of the latter it can only exist if it's pointing to something. hence not allowing it to be 'unlinked': it would disappear into thin air ("help! my marker's disappeared!") ...
or to unlink and re-direct in the way you can do with drawings in Plotmaker.

The checkbox seems to be always grayed out though.
... however: you can re-link it to another detail but the process does not involve firstly unlinking it, but simply changing the link path with the 'Browse' button . . .

~/archiben
relinkDetail.jpg
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
__archiben
Booster
and from the info box.........>

(ignore the marker name to the left of the 'browse' button: this is a bug and should be displaying the name of the detail that is being linked to . . .)

~/archiben
infoLink.jpg
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Since the detail marker has that 'Link to detail drawing' checkbox I thought I could 'unlink' the detail marker, and keep the marker. So I wanted to keep the marker and get rid of the detail.

Who knows what that checkbox is supposed to be doing. I'll just explode the whole thing and get rid of the detail.
Learn and get certified!