BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

VENTING! Lack of ArchiCAD objects for US market!

Anonymous
Not applicable
So this is a venting post...
How come there are barely any manufacturer objects available for ArchiCAD in the US market? I read with excitement the BIMObjects announcement that Grohe now has it's products available (as we use their products often), only to find out that they're only available in Revit format! Why does Graphisoft so utterly neglect this very important part of product development - getting manufacturers on board to produce library objects? Every new announcement in this regard seems to be Revit related!
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable
Just tell the suppliers you need their products in ArchCAD format or else you will select products that are, you will be surprised how quickly they will have the products available.
I have done this to a couple of suppliers with success.
Scott
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
sboydturner wrote:
Just tell the suppliers you need their products in ArchCAD format or else you will select products that are, you will be surprised how quickly they will have the products available.
Scott
This is what I keep reminding companies that try to push their product on us too. NL is a small market, but we are getting stuff through bimobject.com slowly.
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Anonymous
Not applicable
sboydturner wrote:
Scott
Hey Scott, curious what suppliers you had success with, care to name names? Thanks in advance, Cary
Anonymous
Not applicable
marckleinmann wrote:
How come there are barely any manufacturer objects available for ArchiCAD in the US market? I read with excitement the BIMObjects announcement that Grohe now has it's products available (as we use their products often), only to find out that they're only available in Revit format! Why does Graphisoft so utterly neglect this very important part of product development - getting manufacturers on board to produce library objects? Every new announcement in this regard seems to be Revit related!
Well stated!
Anonymous
Not applicable
Cary,
Caroma (http://specify.caroma.com.au/bim-library-landing/archicad) would be one where we asked for an Archicad library and the supplier has provided an excellent library that they are updating to incorporate all their product lines and related sub-brands.
The developer of the library (Cadswift) has also developed libraries and accessories for other manufacturers
Scott
Stress Co_
Advisor
marckleinmann wrote:
+1
sboydturner wrote:
Here's the response I got last week from Kohler:
"Thank you for contacting Kohler Co. I am glad to assist you with
your question. Currently we do not have Archicad files. Our CAD
team has looked at the program and plans to evaluate it further.
We do not have immediate plans to create these files; I am sorry."

On a positive note:
Sub-zero/Wolf now has GSM files of their products.
Sub-Zero/Wolf: CAD Libraries
Marc Corney, Architect
Red Canoe Architecture, P. A.

Mac OS 10.15.7 (Catalina) //// Mac OS 14.2.1 (Sonoma)
Processor: 3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 //// Apple M2 Max
Memory: 48 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 //// 32 GB
Graphics: Radeon Pro 580X 8GB //// 12C CPU, 30C GPU
ArchiCAD 25 (5010 USA Full) //// ArchiCAD 27 (4030 USA Full)
sboydturner wrote:
Scott
In the U.S., I suspect that the AC market share is so small compared to Revit that it is hard to make a good case for a manufacturer's investment. It is especially hard to make a case without any information at all regarding market share.

While I would love to have more native AC objects available, I suspect that we may be better off suggesting more universal FBX, OBJ, or even SKP files. This is obviously an area ripe for a talented AC object developer to sell their services to the manufacturers, and then create these libraries for them.
Richard
--------------------------
Richard Morrison, Architect-Interior Designer
AC26 (since AC6.0), Win10
Anonymous
Not applicable
Richard wrote:
While I would love to have more native AC objects available, I suspect that we may be better off suggesting more universal FBX, OBJ, or even SKP files. This is obviously an area ripe for a talented AC object developer to sell their services to the manufacturers, and then create these libraries for them.
Agree with you here 100%, and also agree that if we have an easier way to create gsm content, there will be more talented developers to ripe that area.
Anonymous
Not applicable
sboydturner wrote:
Cary,
Caroma (http://specify.caroma.com.au/bim-library-landing/archicad) would be one where we asked for an Archicad library and the supplier has provided an excellent library that they are updating to incorporate all their product lines and related sub-brands.
The developer of the library (Cadswift) has also developed libraries and accessories for other manufacturers
Scott
Cool...wish we were so fortunate in the states. Thanks for sharing. Cheers
Learn and get certified!