Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.
SOLVED!

WHY Archicad does not smooth curves

Unabend
Booster

Hello guys!
It is my first post in this precious forum. I am starting to use Archicad after many years of Revit. And I'm a bit panicked 🙂 For example, using the Morph tool, I found that the program, drawing a cylinder, creates a surface divided 36 times, therefore polygonal! I saw that if I have to fillet a corner of a solid, you can choose the number of segmentations, that's a good thing, but the cylinder remains segmented ...
Tell me it's not true, tell me it's just my mistake, it's not possible that in 2021 such expensive software still has this problem.
Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Unabend
Booster

Problem solved!

The cylinder always remains polygonal, apparently it is a choice of Graphisoft to have a faster and more responsive program ... and this is a good choice. The second problem was my problem! When I opened the Elevations settings, I didn't select any Elevations, and so the program set ... the next few elevations, not the ones I already had! Which in fact never changed!

Basic rookie error...

Thanks all for the support.

View solution in original post

29 REPLIES 29
Qualifa
Booster

Greetings @Unabend,

To increase the number of edges, go to Design -> Modify Morph -> Modify Segmentation... and activate the double segment option for faster action, repeat these steps to increase in several more times.

Qualifa_2-1632771931523.png

Qualifa_3-1632772003452.png

Proud member of UNION.ARCHI Network
Unabend
Booster

Hi Qualifa and thanks for the welcome 🙂
OK, your suggestion works perfectly for objects made through the Morph tool.
But this "segmentation" unfortunately also exists in architectural objects, cylindrical columns or curved geometry floors ... If I make a column, inserting the parametric column present in the Archicad library, its generating circle has 36 sides, and not there is no way to increase them.
A friend suggested to me a way, but not completely decisive: enter the settings of the "magic wand" and enter a much higher value of the segmentation of the curves. Consequently, if you make a circular slab for example, just make it using the magic wand tool, and its edges will be perfect. If you do it normally, its edges will be polygonal.
What a pity 😞

RevitRevit20210927_200147.jpgTwo slabsTwo slabsTwo slabsTwo slabs

Approximation, you can't do without it. Yes, it makes it difficult to visualise small architectural forms, but with smoothing (I hope you removed it for the example) and visualising the exterior at a certain distance, this aspect will not be noticeable.

Unabend
Booster

What do you mean with "but with smoothing (I hope you removed it for the example)"?

thanks!

In the 3D display presets there is detailed shading, selecting this option causes objects to be smoothed.
View -> 3D View Options -> Detailed Shading

Unabend
Booster

I was in Detailed shading mode! No difference, because is the object "construction", not the shading that makes difference... If you see the same object in Wireframe, you will see the "grid" of 36 segments of my cilynder column 😞

20210928_000335.jpg

there are some GDL scripts that can help with this too.  For example take a look at some of the scripts for things like the Elbow 25  object  2021-09-27_15-05-45.png

you can open the object to take a look at the script for this setting, copy and paste to your own object.   ?

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

This is an area , which Graphisot could enhance !

AC12_20 |Win10_64bit|

Thanks Steve!

But... where are these scripts? And can they also concern columns or floors or any other parametric building element of Archicad?