Choose your top Archicad wishes!

Read more
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.
SOLVED!

Wall corner challenge

Screenshot 2024-05-02 132253.png

Hi,

I like to model a cove like this in the wall corner, tried opening tool but couldn't achieve it, I don't know it's a painting finish or special blocks stacked to produce this beauty.

If anyone knows how can this be modelled in Archicad? thanks.

Operating system used: Windows 11

AC 27 INT 5003/WIN 11
AMD Ryzen 7 5800H with Radeon Graphics 3.20 GHz 16.0 GB
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Ricardo Lopez
Advocate

Hi @Mahmoud Qenawi 

If you really need to model every line of the plaster, even the curved corner, then you could use Substract from Solid Element Operations (SEO):

1. Use your prefered tools (slabs, columns and morphs) for modeling the "negatives".
  2. Edit> Group those negatives.
  3. Select and Convert Selection to Morph(s).
  4. Connect> Solid Element Operations...
  5. Select the negative group as Operator and the walls as Target.
  6. Choose operation Sustraction.
  7. Execute.
  8. Send the negative group to a hidden layer.

RicardoLopez_0-1714660893700.png

Beware of this method of SEO can result in a slower performance for your file if it is widely used. Maybe you could only substract the curved corner and get the plaster lines based on the building material surface.

Regards.-

M. Arch. Ricardo López
BIM Consultant | Project Solutions and Services | Panama
AC17-27 SPA+INT | Windows 11 | MSI WE75 9TK, 32GB, Nvidia Quadro RTX 3000

View solution in original post

Solution

You could also use Columns and Beams to create the grooves. Put them on a wireframe layer with the same Layer Intersection Group Number as the Wall and a Building Material with a higher Intersection Priority Number than that of the Wall, Archicad will apply Priority-based Connections, and they will automatically cut the Wall, no need for SEO for that. The wireframe Layer will enable you to see the geometry of the cutting bodies without them obscuring the geometry of the Wall. After they are modeled, their layer can be hidden.

When you model the grooves, make sure the 3D bodies of those Columns and Beams touch, but do not collide/intersect - that way you will have fewer automatic Priority-based Connections Archicad has to calculate. (Priority-based Connections are SEOs automatically performed by Archicad, just like SEOs a user explicitly performs on selected elements.)

Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
Solution
Ricardo Lopez
Advocate

Hi @Mahmoud Qenawi 

If you really need to model every line of the plaster, even the curved corner, then you could use Substract from Solid Element Operations (SEO):

1. Use your prefered tools (slabs, columns and morphs) for modeling the "negatives".
  2. Edit> Group those negatives.
  3. Select and Convert Selection to Morph(s).
  4. Connect> Solid Element Operations...
  5. Select the negative group as Operator and the walls as Target.
  6. Choose operation Sustraction.
  7. Execute.
  8. Send the negative group to a hidden layer.

RicardoLopez_0-1714660893700.png

Beware of this method of SEO can result in a slower performance for your file if it is widely used. Maybe you could only substract the curved corner and get the plaster lines based on the building material surface.

Regards.-

M. Arch. Ricardo López
BIM Consultant | Project Solutions and Services | Panama
AC17-27 SPA+INT | Windows 11 | MSI WE75 9TK, 32GB, Nvidia Quadro RTX 3000

Perfect, thank you @Ricardo Lopez.

fantastic way of thinking I really didn’t imagine,

Only more morphs for the whole elevation.

AC 27 INT 5003/WIN 11

Hi @Ricardo Lopez,

Do you think this facade was created also by SEO? Just guessing.

BTW these photos are captured from Graphisoft Italy’s LinkedIn post.

IMG_1164.jpeg

IMG_1166.jpeg

AC 27 INT 5003/WIN 11

I would say, probably yes.

But a column and arch could also be modelled with individual components and then saved as an object or a module and then repeatedly placed.

And these days with the segmented column, the column up to the arch could be all done with just the column tool.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

Hello @Mahmoud Qenawi

If you refer to ashlar(I hope is the right term), them was realized with the curtain wall tool,

We have a very interesting Webinar on HBIM approach organized by Graphisoft Italia and the architect that have done this model(I can't remeber his name in this moment).....I think that in next weeks you could find the registrati on  the Graphisoft Italia youtube page

AC 6.5-26 | Latest build | Win 10 Pro 64 | AMD TreadRipper 1950x 3.4 Ghz | 64 Gb RAM | AMD Radeon 5700 XT 8GB

Thank you Barry,

I hope this object can be created by paramo it’d be easier to update with design modification & also if segmented column feature is available for complex profile one that will save much time.

AC 27 INT 5003/WIN 11

@strangeday,

Thanks, sure I’ll search for this webinar & if you got a link for it pls post it here.

Curtain wall tool can be effective also for this challenge despite can’t imagine how it works.

AC 27 INT 5003/WIN 11
Solution

You could also use Columns and Beams to create the grooves. Put them on a wireframe layer with the same Layer Intersection Group Number as the Wall and a Building Material with a higher Intersection Priority Number than that of the Wall, Archicad will apply Priority-based Connections, and they will automatically cut the Wall, no need for SEO for that. The wireframe Layer will enable you to see the geometry of the cutting bodies without them obscuring the geometry of the Wall. After they are modeled, their layer can be hidden.

When you model the grooves, make sure the 3D bodies of those Columns and Beams touch, but do not collide/intersect - that way you will have fewer automatic Priority-based Connections Archicad has to calculate. (Priority-based Connections are SEOs automatically performed by Archicad, just like SEOs a user explicitly performs on selected elements.)

Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27

Thank you @Laszlo Nagy ,

I think it won’t affect the overall performance but still the corner void needs to be done by morph & SEO.

AC 27 INT 5003/WIN 11

Setup info provided by author