Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Wall with masonry fill, non ortogonal

nejcek74
Contributor
I have a problem finding the right workflow, I would be really glad for some advices:

I am drawing a plan of a building, made of two non parallel parts. I have problem how to present brick walls. I had to use masonry brick fill (standard for drawing such walls). I already talked with support in my country but the solution they propose is not without strong shortcomings. At the moment I have four possibilities, you can see them on attached image but no one is good satisfactory:

1. leave fill orientation as it is and using option Project origin in Building Materials:
+ fills are ok in section
+ walls connection in plans are ok
- fill orientations are wrong in plan
2. leave fill orientation as it is and using option Element origin in Building Materials
+ fill orientation is ok in section
+ walls connections in plan are ok
- fill orientation of perpendicular walls is wrong in plan, i.e. mirrored
3. using two different Masonry Block fills (45° and 135°) and option Element origin in Building Materials
+ fill orientation is ok in plan
- some fills are mirrored in section but this is harder to notice
- walls doesnt connect in plan
4. using Masonry Block fill with changed orientation (45° to 62.7° and option Project origin in Building Materials
+ fill orientation is ok in plan
- fills are wrong in section (not 45°)

Wal_fill_orient 3.jpg
Archicad 22 on OS X 10.11.6
9 REPLIES 9
Barry Kelly
Do you have to use this hatched fill?
You won't be able to avoid this problem unless you have duplicate fills set at various angles.

Can you use a 50% fill instead?

I tend to use solid or % or empty fills myself.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
nejcek74
Contributor
Yes, I have to use exactly that fill. It is a standard one for brick wall.

I would be happy even using duplicate fills set at various angles, but then I have problem in sections (this is in my number four) Or is there a way around this? Using one fill in building material for plan and another one for section?
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Number 2 looks fine to me. I'm sure the builder is not going to put down his tools and call you to tell you how confused he is that the stripes in his wall are going a different way than the others.

If that's the case, I think you may have bigger issues to deal with then getting your fills perfect.

Cheers,
Link.
nejcek74
Contributor
sadly it is not ok. Finally I wil have to do things in 2D if that is the case.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,
Barry's solution is smart and simple, you can name the fill something like .....-bis so even the name of the fill will be clear to everyone. Am i missing something?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Am I missing something? If you use composites with your masonry brick fill (one for the external wall, one for the thinner internal wall) the fill will rotate with the wall angle. Corners will not be perfect (similar to 2) but you will save a lot of hassle.
nejcek74
Contributor
Barry's solution with 50%? I am really sorry, but I have to use fill with lines that are 45 degrees to the wall. That is the standard hatch used for brick walls in Switzerland.
Solution number 2 is partly done with composites, outer wall is composite thinner is wall, both has same building material with Element origin used for fills, so they turn together with the wall. Problem is that when you turn walls you get the result as it is on my image.
I will try tomorrow in the office if it help if the inner wall is also composite. Btw. number four and custom drawn sections (re-link section - change to 2D - change the fills) was the official solution from support.
Barry Kelly
If you have to use an open hatch then I would probably use one that rotates with the wall (element origin) so at least it is consistent in relation to the wall.
Yes they will all rotate in different directions on plan but it will always be a 45° hatch in that wall.

You either have to have a fill that is consistent across the entire plan (project origin) or is aligned to each element (element origin).
The only fills that can do both at the same time are empty, solid and % fills.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
nejcek74
Contributor
Seems then the only solution is 2D. Thx for help everyone.