BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Walls From 2d Plan

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have a 2d plan DXF file format that I have load in archicad 9 what i want to do is create a 3d plan of this.

How do i do it
IE do i need to convert the 2d lines into walls if so how do i do this

Or do i just extrude the 2d plan

I will also want to add basic windows and doors

This is a a charity project i have been asked to take over and i have never used archicad it just was the only cad program on the computer i have been assign, the previous person ripped off the company and left them in the C**P

any help please.

I can send the file to anyone who can do an example but i would like to know how to do this please

Stu
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable
Set the wall tool to the values you want (height, thickness, etc.) and trace over the dxf reference file. It is easiest to put the dxf on a different story (usually the one below) and ghost it on the working story where you are drawing the walls. There is not an automatic function to do this (walls in ArchiCAD are basically reference lines with associated attributes and parameters so there is no simple mapping from 2D lines), but it does not take very long and you get the chance to make sure the walls are correct as you go.

Beware that many DXF and DWG drawings are not as accurate as is needed for proper modeling. In a 2D drawing if the lines are close enough to look good on paper it doesn't matter if they are a tiny bit out of square or don't quite meet at the corners. This can make a real mess of a building model since small errors are the hardest to fix.

Basic doors and windows are pretty easy. Just select the tool and click on the wall to insert the door/window.

Once you get past the basics though, you will realize that ArchiCAD is a very complex and sophisticated program and getting from basic walls, doors, and windows to a detailed model and drawings is quite a learning curve to take on for charity. Be careful that you don't commit to more than you can handle.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Matthew wrote:
Once you get past the basics though, you will realize that ArchiCAD is a very complex and sophisticated program and getting from basic walls, doors, and windows to a detailed model and drawings is quite a learning curve to take on for charity. Be careful that you don't commit to more than you can handle.
sometimes I feel like the learning curve is a bit steep to take on for a profitable project
sometimes I select all of the lines that represent similar connecting walls and "Unify" them. Click the wall icon, tweak the wall settings, and click on the lines with the magic wand. This will change all of the lines you have unified all at the same time.

The magic wand will come in handy for lots of things when you are converting 2d lines into a 3d model.

You may have no interest in this, but there is (was ? ) a program called Plan2Model that does a good job of automatically converting 2d AutoCAD into 3D ArchiCAD.

http://www.cegra.cz/downloads/produkty/doplprog/Plan2Model-flyerINT.pdf

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

Learn and get certified!