BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Walls Untrim to Roof overnight

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have trimmed five roof segments to a dormer roof, only to find that the mysteriously "untrim" themselves. I have redone this several times, looked at the rendering and everything is okay. Then, later, when I look at the rendering, they are again "untrimmed". Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Jay DeChesere
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
JDC001 wrote:
I have trimmed five roof segments to a dormer roof, only to find that the mysteriously "untrim" themselves.
Are you trimming walls or roofs?

Using the "Trim to Roof" command or SEOs?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Matthew,
Thanks...
I am selecting walls and then roof and selecting Trim To Roof.
Jay
TomWaltz
Participant
Does this happen every time you close a file then reopen it? What version of Archicad are you using (release and service pack number)
Tom Waltz
Anonymous
Not applicable
I haven't used "Trim to Roof" probably for a couple of years now so I'm not sure what the problem could be. There is an "Undo Roof Trim" button in the wall settings dialog. This might have been clicked by accident.

You should probably try SEOs for this anyway. I find them much better since the wall trims will follow any changes in the roofs automatically (up to their nominal maximum height).
Stephen Dolbee
Booster
This will happen if the roofs have degenerated. Try setting all of the roof edges to vertical and see if the walls are once again trimmed.
AC19(9001), 27" iMac i7, 12 gb ram, ATI Radeon HD 4850 512mb, OS 10.12.6
Anonymous
Not applicable
Matthew,
I like to SEO the walls to the roof, as well, but have found that the windows and doors therein go wonky, or, rather, the horizontal trim does: it will extend several feet on either side of an opening. When I cancel the operation, the window/ door trim reverts to its prior, correct, state. Have you ever experienced this?
Thanks in advance--
John
Anonymous
Not applicable
Matthew,
Using Version 11, Build 970, just installed, no updates available.
I have not been using SEO. Need to read up on that and will try one
dormer with this system and the other with the trim to roof system.
Will update tomorrow.
Jay
Anonymous
Not applicable
Zobi wrote:
Matthew,
I like to SEO the walls to the roof, as well, but have found that the windows and doors therein go wonky, or, rather, the horizontal trim does: it will extend several feet on either side of an opening. When I cancel the operation, the window/ door trim reverts to its prior, correct, state. Have you ever experienced this?
Thanks in advance--
John
I did have some trim do that to me and the wall was cut to the roofs. I hadn't had time to track down the problem so I just worked around it. Sounds like the same bug.

Unfortunately there was some troublesome code put into the doors and windows that changes their behavior when cut by SEOs. This may (or may not) make sense when the actual opening is cut, but they seem to inherit this value from the wall they are in as well which makes no sense to me.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Okay....
I understand SEO's now. I have now selected the walls in the dormer as targets and the roofs as operators and executed the operation. Everything turned out fine. So...I thought I would simply copy/drag the walls that I had SEO'ed to the other seven dormers.

Alas...all the walls reverted to the same height they were before they were
SEO'd.

Looked at Archicad Help and they say you can copy, drag multiple copies, rotate, etc. and the SEO'd elements will remain as they are. Not so!
Any thoughts here or has anyone tried this?
Jay again
Learn and get certified!

Still looking?

Browse more topics

Back to forum

See latest solutions

Accepted solutions

Start a new discussion!