Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

What Are Your Creative Graphic Override Settings?

4hotshoes
Advisor
I am trying to learn the uses of Graphic Overrides and realize that there are many setting options available that I have no idea how or why I might use them. Nevertheless, I would like to see how others have made them useful. I am not sure if this is the right forum for this topic, but it seems to be. "How You are Working in Archicad"
Todd Oeftger
AC27 Mac MacBook Pro 15", 2019, 2.3 GHz i9, 32GB, Radeon Pro 560X 4GB, 500GB SSD, 32" Samsung Display (2560x1440)
4 REPLIES 4
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
We have them set up for design stages to show/hide composite build up.

We use them to make sections and elevations clearer by giving vectorial hatches a different background colour.

We use them a lot for special views that highlight certain layers and then override everything with for example a dashed line type. We then place this view along with another view on layout. Meaning we don't have to trace elements with 2D line work.

We use them to create proper structural drawings, which take a whole different approach to architectural drawings.

All of this is 'free' information / linework etc from the model available in pre-linked views from our template.

There are also uses for highlighting certain elements to do model check up like are all dimension nodes linked or are there some static nodes.
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
4hotshoes
Advisor
Erwin wrote:
There are also uses for highlighting certain elements to do model check up like are all dimension nodes linked or are there some static nodes.
I would be interested in how this works. Thanks
Todd Oeftger
AC27 Mac MacBook Pro 15", 2019, 2.3 GHz i9, 32GB, Radeon Pro 560X 4GB, 500GB SSD, 32" Samsung Display (2560x1440)
Barry Kelly
4hotshoes wrote:
Erwin wrote:
I would be interested in how this works. Thanks
Simply set up a rule to find all dimensions with static node, set your override styles and add the rule to a Graphic Override.
Now when you use that GO all of your static dimensions will highlight.

You can 'quality control' all sorts of things if you want - you just have to create the rules.
Elements in the wrong layers.
Elements not classified or with the wrong classification.
Load bearing walls over a certain height that are too thin.
Etc.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
R Muller
Enthusiast
I opened up an old model to do plans for a new renovation, and discovered the existing line weights and colors were a mess. Rather than fix the old stuff, I created graphic override rules to change as needed for good looking floor plans. One set of rules for 1/8" scale plans, with very thin lines, another for 1/4" scale. Renovation filter changes line color (but not weight) of existing elements to blue and new elements to black.
R Muller
AC 26 USA (20+ years on ArchiCAD)
MBP 64GB Apple M1 Max OS 12.1 Monterey