Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

What are new tools for ARCHICAD 13?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello 🙂
I was wondering if we maybe know what new tools we can expect with the new version of Archicad?
I finaly hope for 3D composite structure layers to be visible, also their 2D representation to be automaticly adjusted to the layer thickness (eg. thermal insulation).
Slab layers and their intersection with wall layers...
Also maybe while defining wall composite layers we can also define each layer height.
Better and more detailed quantity take-off is a must.
221 REPLIES 221
Anonymous
Not applicable
If this library issue really is fixed, I jump in! Common 13.
On the other hand I was planning to stick with 12 for the next few years...
Chazz
Enthusiast
Rakela wrote:
....we were going to shelf the new boxes
This is one hell of an indictment against the software. You would pay for the tool, have it shipped to your office but would not bother loading it on a machine?

Wow.

I think there are lots of reasons to consider not upgrading but most of them involve not wanting to pay for features you are not going to use (like me and teamwork 2). But if it is already paid for, unless we are talking about a R8 situation of unusable bugginess, I'm surprised by your stance.

For the most part I have always found the upgrades, if not worth the cost, at least worth loading on our machines. Mostly my gripe is that the stuff that I find useful should have been done years earlier.....
Nattering nabob of negativism
2023 MBP M2 Max 32GM. MaxOS-Current
Rakela Raul
Participant
1. if you pay in advance..u save a few dls
2. will not use v13 till 14 is out......so im counting on you to test it for me and avoid headhecks myself
3. moving projects to the newer version always another problem
(unlike microstation..i dont like nor use..but i like that 'feature')
4. year upgrade is too short of a span ...therefore another waste of time to get around the new version..unless you beta tested it...(if u only one)

this is just a personal thing and not willing to discuss it (like colors, politics, religion and the like)

hell of a statement and i regret for that....sorry
MACBKPro /32GiG / 240SSD
AC V6 to V18 - RVT V11 to V16
owen
Newcomer
Rakela wrote:
Among other things, I've heard that the issue of having to load all older libraries containing objects used in a project that has evolved through one or more ArchiCAD version updates has been fixed.

From what I understand, objects used in a PLN will be saved with the PLN similar to a PLA, which should make upgrading from one version to another much easier with regards to the library, since you will no longer need to load multiple versions of the archicad library.
i wasnt planning on upgrading....we were going to shelf the new boxes.....but this might indeed change my mind...if you are correct
i don't get it ... the PLN becomes a PLA?? I don't see how this fixes the library issue - you can already do this with PLA (save only used objects). I am assuming this behaviour would also be optional as loading objects from a central library rather than each individual file is critical to how office libraries work. If you embed the objects into a file with no reference to a central library then office wide library management can become a nightmare ..

Short of creating PLAs of archived jobs (best practice btw) you are always going to have to keep copies of your old AC libraries.

or am i missunderstanding what you are saying?
cheers,

Owen Sharp

Design Technology Manager
fjmt | francis-jones morehen thorp

iMac 27" i7 2.93Ghz | 32GB RAM | OS 10.10 | Since AC5
MMontgomery
Enthusiast
Without knowing the details, my understanding is that PLN files would have the ability to store parts from older libraries like a PLA, but not *be* a PLA.

The PLN might be serving as its own PLA in respect to the older parts being saved with the project. I would expect the library management to remain the same - you would still load your standard libraries, this would just offset the need to load older libraries when upgrading to a new version.

For example, (assuming the project had been saved using this feature) your ArchiCAD 11 parts would not need to be updated to version 13 parts and no need to load the ArchiCAD 11 library either - the parts are already there in the file.

Again, I haven't seen this in action, so I'm not sure what the specifics are. Whether it works with current older projects or just projects created from AC13 and beyond...I dunno.
AC 6-27 - Intel i9-9900K - RTX3090 - Windows 11 - 64GB RAM
Chazz
Enthusiast
owen wrote:
Rakela wrote:
you are always going to have to keep copies of your old AC libraries.
One of the longstanding issues with Archicad and its abysmal library management is that when you upgrade, the software does not upgrade the library at the same time, automatically. I think this idea of maintaing old versions of the libraries makes about as much sense as maintaining old versions of the software itself. It's an insane piece of archaic hoop-jumping foolishness.

I prefer the iPhoto approach. Whenever you upgrade the software it upgrades the photo library database and you are good to go. You never look back.
Chazz
Enthusiast
Rakela wrote:
hell of a statement and i regret for that....sorry
Hey brother, you were just speaking your truth and I respect it.
MMontgomery
Enthusiast
64bit is supposed to be in as well
AC 6-27 - Intel i9-9900K - RTX3090 - Windows 11 - 64GB RAM
Wokka
Contributor
MMontgomery wrote:
64bit is supposed to be in as well
This is big news for me if it's true. I'm just about to upgrade my machine and was looking at XP64bit so having 64bit ArchiCad and C4D would be great.
Warwick Lloyd-Martin
3 D E N V I R O N M E N T
http://www.3de.com.au
Windows 11 Pro 64bit
ArchiCad 4.55>27 AUS
Lumion 12.5/2023
D5 Render
andrewzarb
Booster
In regards to 64bit here is a link

http://cadstudio.ru/news/archicad/289-archicad-news-archicad-13-beta-breaking-news-05-2009.html

I'd only consider it a rumour at this stage, but it would be good.

In regards to library parts; the project could store all the parts that are being used (like a .pla) and allow you to use parts from any libraries without having to load the whole library.