Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

What is on layer XXXX

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am trying to clean up our template. The Attribute Manager tells me there are objects on a certain layer, is there a way that I can find out what?

Thanks!
10 REPLIES 10
Dwight
Newcomer
You mean, some sort of list, without using the 'Find and Select' dialog to select all elements on that layer, then 'Zoom to selected'?
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
1. Edit/Find&Select... (Type is: 3D element; Layer is: AAAA); clic on "+" and all objects on that Layer are highlighted

2. Creating a Schedule:
Anonymous
Not applicable
And the Schedule settings:
Karl Ottenstein
Schedules only show 3D elements. (The other way to see 3D elements is to just go to the 3D window with only layer XXXX on.)

Unfortunately, there is no easy way to find the 2D elements on layer XXXX. While you can use Find & Select - or again, simply turn off everything except layer XXXX ... you must open EVERY SINGLE view ... every story, every worksheet, every detail, every section, every elevation, every layout, etc.... one by one and do a select all / zoom extent / or something similar to find the 2D elements.
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
Dozi64:

In addition to the other advice, be aware that the Attribute Manager will show a layer as being used (check mark) if a Tool is assigned that layer as its default layer. (Open a new blank file and then look at Attribute Manager.)

You should add a Signature to your Profile (click the Profile button near the top of this page) with your ArchiCAD version and operating system (see mine for an example) for more accurate help in this forum.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Anonymous
Not applicable
Karl wrote:
Schedules only show 3D elements. (The other way to see 3D elements is to just go to the 3D window with only layer XXXX on.)

Unfortunately, there is no easy way to find the 2D elements on layer XXXX. While you can use Find & Select - or again, simply turn off everything except layer XXXX ... you must open EVERY SINGLE view ... every story, every worksheet, every detail, every section, every elevation, every layout, etc.... one by one and do a select all / zoom extent / or something similar to find the 2D elements.
That's what I was afraid of. Thanks for all of the replies.
Stress Co_
Advisor
Karl wrote:
I renew my wish for F & S on steroids:
Find & Select Wish
It must be possible, yes?
Marc Corney, Architect
Red Canoe Architecture, P. A.

Mac OS 10.15.7 (Catalina) //// Mac OS 14.2.1 (Sonoma)
Processor: 3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 //// Apple M2 Max
Memory: 48 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 //// 32 GB
Graphics: Radeon Pro 580X 8GB //// 12C CPU, 30C GPU
ArchiCAD 25 (5010 USA Full) //// ArchiCAD 27 (4030 USA Full)
Bruce
Expert
Use Document > Layers > Layer Extras > Active Layer to set all tool default layers to one layer. This makes it a bit easier to run the layer purge.

Also, you don't have to visit every view - just every project map entry (on large projects, this is prohibitive).

My wish list for this is to do what SketchUp does - give the user an option to transfer any object on the layer you are trying to delete onto a different layer. Easy.
Bruce Walker
www.brucepwalker.com
Barking Dog BIM YouTube
Mindmeister Mindmap
-- since v8.1 --
AC26 5002 INT Full | Windows 11 64 Pro | 12th Gen Intel i7-12700H 2.30 GHz | 64 Gb RAM | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 32 Gb
Karl Ottenstein
Bruce wrote:
Also, you don't have to visit every view - just every project map entry (on large projects, this is prohibitive).
Correct. I meant viewpoint.
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB