BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Why are floors and ceilings not part of same composite?

Christiaan
Participant
I've noticed that the default composites slabs separate out floors and ceilings.

What's the idea behind this? Why not include them in the same composite?
2 REPLIES 2
Erika Epstein
Booster
Oops. now I see your AC version.
I don't know why, I am not a mindreader. Often it works better to model the ceiling separately from the floor.
-not all ceilings are as same height
-some areas have soffits
-separate ceiling leaves a space between it an the floor structure above where you can model HVAC etc.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Karl Ottenstein
...and also, the pre-defined composites in your country-specific default template come from your regional distributor. In the US, these predefined attributes are often not applicable to real work and are just examples.

For residential, I most often model the ceiling/floor assembly as a single composite. But, sometimes this is not desirable. Erika gave some examples. Another is where you use massing for preliminary design, and yet want to model floor structure (joists/beams) for construction documents. If you use a single composite, then if you reduce it to either ceiling gyp, or to subfloor/floor finish - then the rest has to be modeled again anyway. But, if the ceiling was modeled separate from the floor, then just the floor composite changes - and the structure, MEP, etc is inserted in the void during the design development phase (with the ceiling assembly perhaps shifting up/down based on final floor structure engineering).

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Learn and get certified!