Choose your top Archicad wishes!

Read more
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Why do walls now explode to polylines instead of lines?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Please let someone explain me why does Graphisoft changes features that work good? and make them nightmare????!!!!!

in previous versions (archicad 15 and previous) walls were exploded into lines when going to worksheet. now it is exploded to polylines. That would not be a problem if polylines could be intersected of filleted, but NO. Polylines cannot be nor intersected nor chamfered.
BELIEVE IT OR NOT, but if I create worksheet of my floor plans it is because I want some lines to be intersected since walls were not connected correctly.

PLEASE MAKE WALLS AND OTHER ELEMENTS TRANSFORM TO LINES IN WORKSHEET OR ENABLE POLYLINES TO BE INTERSECTABLE!!!!!!!!!
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable
If you explode the polylines they become lines.

OTOH it is vanishingly rare that I have run into situations where I could not get the walls to intersect properly. For those few occasions the patch tool did the trick just fine.
Karl Ottenstein
I changed your subject. Posting "WHY WHY WHY" does not help anybody, but maybe made you feel better? 😉

You should change your signature to show that you are on 16 now.

I confirm what you see in 16 vs 15 and earlier. Personally, I think part of this is a very useful change ... it is ONLY the outside wall contours that are polylines. All internal skin lines for composites are still ordinary lines. This makes it easy to select one or the other.

But, I agree that the loss of functionality of being able to intersect polylines hurts here and elsewhere. Doesn't make sense that it is not possible if you select an end segment of a polyline - it should behave like a line for intersection. (Selecting in interior segment would have no logical interpretation.)

I would suggest that taking a Worksheet view of a floor plan to correct bad intersections is perhaps not the best way of working anyway ... you break your model in that if you change the model and have to do a 'rebuild from source view', much of your linework modification will be lost.

First, I'd be sure that there is no way with skin and element intersection priorities to get the intersections your require, so that you can retain a completely live model. If not, consider the very old Patch Tool. This captures just the small piece that is not intersecting properly as a 2D overlay object that you can edit. While this is still not live - and hence subject to making errors in the future if things underneath it change and you forget about the Patch - the entire rest of your model is still live, eliminating concern about lack of coordination = documentation errors.

Again, I don't disagree that end segments of polylines should be able to intersect. They do respond to the "Adjust" command which can help in many cases.

Edit: Much more concise, Matthew! I was typing/testing while you posted. 😉
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.7, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Karl Ottenstein
Weird about exploding. In 16, exploding a polyline gives you single segment polylines. So, intersection still doesn't work. Is there no way to get ordinary line segments during an explode in 16?
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.7, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Matthew wrote:

OTOH it is vanishingly rare that I have run into situations where I could not get the walls to intersect properly. For those few occasions the patch tool did the trick just fine.
as far as I know I can't explode them into lines. what it works is line consolidation, but this is way too much clicks and operations.
Anonymous
Not applicable
mzex wrote:
Matthew wrote:

as far as I know I can't explode them into lines. what it works is line consolidation, but this is way too much clicks and operations.
I stand corrected. I'm not sure if my memory is faulty or perhaps it has changed. But really, if you are doing this so often that the extra clicks are a problem you might do well to review your wall joining techniques.
Dwight
Newcomer
I was astonished that Matthew would say that polylines exploded to lines since I noticed that this feature did not seem to operate in 16.

But i tried it several times and it worked. Once.

So maybe there's some weird sequence of exploding and ungrouping that makes polyline explode to line possible.
Dwight Atkinson
rocorona
Booster
I think if one really wants to explode a polyline, he really WANT to get lines... exploding them to polylines seems puzzling.
Like exploding a thick wall to tiny walls

--Roberto Corona--
www.archiradar.com
AC18 - ITA full on Win10
Matthew wrote:
mzex wrote:
Matthew wrote:

I stand corrected. I'm not sure if my memory is faulty or perhaps it has changed. But really, if you are doing this so often that the extra clicks are a problem you might do well to review your wall joining techniques.
sometime some of walls are not connected well and that can be corrected, but most of the times I don't have time to search for solution so I go into worksheet to correct one wall connection and that is done in few seconds (if walls are exploded into lines)while trying to connect walls would consume much more time.

Exploding polylines into lines is useless feature.

Only thing that I want is Graphisoft to make that feature as it was in previous versions. Walls exploded to lines that are grouped.
And please Graphisoft do not change tools that work right.