BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Why don't zones pick up slabs in schedules?

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am creating a schedule that lists several slabs I created that represent countertops. for whatever reason, The zone name will not show up in the schedule.

I've noticed that all slabs are like this.

Is there some reason why slabs are not able to pick up the zone information?

I'm still using version 9.0 by the way.

Thanks
18 REPLIES 18
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
I might be wrong, but AFAIK only Library Objects have the ability to "sense" in which Zone they are in. This is possible through GDL.
A Slab does not have such methods of doing the same.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
laszlonagy wrote:
I might be wrong, but AFAIK only Library Objects have the ability to "sense" in which Zone they are in. This is possible through GDL.
A Slab does not have such methods of doing the same.

Maybe vincon2 should try one of the following:

1. Save out all slabs as individual counter objects...kinda' a pain if you ever need to edit the shape of the counters...plus you have to maintain all the counter objects.

2. A better idea might be to create the counters using ArchiForma's "Extrude" tool. The nice thing about this tool is that the objects can be edited easily and you can even choose to bevel or round the counter edges.

HTH,
Dan K
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks guys, I just needed to be sure that I wasn't doing something wrong.

to confirm, zones CANNOT pick up slabs & slab information?

I have been making individual objects, but its much more tedious, than throwing in a slab.

I assume zones cannot pick up Meshes and their related info either?
Anonymous
Not applicable
vincon2 wrote:
...I have been making individual objects, but its much more tedious, than throwing in a slab...
Vincon2,
you should seriously consider using archiforma to create these counters. Its much less tedious and the Archiforma objects can be editied with graphical hotspots very easily. I assume the would schedule out the same you objects do unless you're using additional "subtype" parameters for storing material/finish info etc.

Dan K
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
The exact GDL command that achieves this is the following:

REQUEST ("Zone_relations", "", category_name, code, name, number [ ,category_name2,
code2, name2, number2])

Returns in the given variables the zone category name and code and the name and number of the zone where the library part containing this request is located. For doors and windows, there can be a maximum of two zones. The return value of the request is the number of successfully retrieved values (0 if the library part is not inside any zone).

So, since it is GDL, it is available only for Windows/Doors/Object maybe Lamps.
Meshes and Slab do not use GDL so this is not availalbe for them.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Erika Epstein
Booster
I routinely make similar schedules for my residential projects. To get around the problem, I add a letter to the item name in the ID box to denote which room or type of room a slab is in
K Counter
K Backsplash
B1 Counter

etc. for Kitchen, Bath 1, L for Laundry etc.

Not ideal, but good enough for my purposes.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Anonymous
Not applicable
Dan wrote:
vincon2 wrote:
...I have been making individual objects, but its much more tedious, than throwing in a slab...
Vincon2,
you should seriously consider using archiforma to create these counters. Its much less tedious and the Archiforma objects can be editied with graphical hotspots very easily. I assume the would schedule out the same you objects do unless you're using additional "subtype" parameters for storing material/finish info etc.

Dan K
Does Archiforma have the ability to show total perimeter, total SF, user defined fields, etc, etc for scheduling?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Erika wrote:
I routinely make similar schedules for my residential projects. To get around the problem, I add a letter to the item name in the ID box to denote which room or type of room a slab is in
K Counter
K Backsplash
B1 Counter

etc. for Kitchen, Bath 1, L for Laundry etc.

Not ideal, but good enough for my purposes.
thanks, my drawings model almost every compnent of a home so that I can have accurate sections and the ability to schedule everything.

Due to the complexity of my drawings its critical that I don't do things like you suggest because when I make changes, it makes hunting for these areas that need to be corrected a herculian task. The whole idea is to be able to use the zone tool so that if the room name changes, then the slab will pick this up and in my drawings things change all the time.

I just cant belive the slab doesn't already do this seemingly simple task
Erika Epstein
Booster
vincon2 wrote:

Due to the complexity of my drawings its critical that I don't do things like you suggest because when I make changes, it makes hunting for these areas that need to be corrected a herculian task.
We know the zones won't pick up the slabs. Making use of the"ID" for each slab allows you to quickly locate them using find and select.

You can increase the ease of finding the slabs by use of specific pens and/or fills.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Learn and get certified!