BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Window reveal depth different in 2D compared with 3D?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi, I have an unusual window setting problem that I can't figure out the answer to.

I have placed a window in a complex profile wall in AC18. In plan with the reveal depth set to '0' the window looks as it should.

However if I switch to 3D the window is set way back in the wall?

Any idea what I might be doing wrong?

4 REPLIES 4
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
I don't know if this will answer your question, but the Reveal is 2D only, it is not modeled in 3D for Doors/Windows.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Zoltan Fuchs
Booster
I think this is a bug. There were already in v15.

My speculation about why this occurs:
If your complex profile has different skin heights (as your case now), the actual wall thickness in frool plan depends on the actual ’Floor Plane Cut Plane” position.
The 2D and 3D script in window and door object taking into account the different ways the thickness of wall.

Workaround 1:
Don’t use ‘symbolic’ floor plan representation of door/windows. Instead use the ‘projected’ or 'Projected with Overhead'. But then there will be no 2D swing lines.

Wokaround 2:
Try using composite walls instead of complex profile when possible.
Split the profiled wall into three parts in your case :
1. composite wall for lower floor
2. composite wall for upper floor
3. profiled wall for the profiled brick skin
i7-4770K / 16GB / GTX560 2GB / 512GB SSD / Win10 64bit
AC21 (HUN-64 bit) / Bimx Pro / Revit 2017
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
Check your complex profile to see where the opening reference lines are. You should have at least one on each side of the wall. Make sure they correspond with the outside and inside of the wall. You might need more than one line, if the wall is fairly complex.

This is not easy to explain with text, but I'm sure there is info out there in the help documentation. Just look for complex profiles and opening reference lines.
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi everyone. Sorry I haven't been back to reply to your messages, for some reason I never seem to get emails to say when replies have been made (it's possible they're getting moved to junk mail without my realising).

I actually came back this evening to say that I have 'fixed' the issue, or more stumbled across the solution/problem. By chance.

So I had some more survey data that I was using to adjust my draft model to match site conditions (this is an existing house), happened to notice that the external walls were set to be linked to first floor when really they should have been set to second floor/roof. So I changed one of the walls to link to second floor and suddenly realised that the windows as they appear on plan now match what I see in 3D! Happy days!

So, I guess what was happening is there was some conflict caused by the fact the complex profile actually rose up through stories 1 & 2, because that's how tall I drew it in profile editor. Then the wall was linked to a story lower than the overall height of the wall...if that makes sense?
Learn and get certified!