BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Windows 10 - undocking tabs

Anonymous
Not applicable
Does anyone know if Graphisoft are working on bringing the undocking tab feature to windows?
9 REPLIES 9
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
This is not needed because on Windows you can simply click the Maximize button in the upper left corner to undock Tabs. The Mac interface works differently, I guess this is why the Dock/Undock command is needed there.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
hey Laszlo, i've been away from windows for a very long time, but glad to be back.
with osx, ive previously only worked (since the release of undocking) with 2 or 3 displays, either with display#1 (3d view port) and display#2(floor plan) OR with a 3rd display all my pallets on display#3. 2d and 3d simultaneously.

The only way I can see this is possible in windows is by using an extra wide or ultra wide display or around 34 inches, and using quad or 4k definition ? Which would only go so far as to match a osx system with 2 or 3 external 24 or 27 inch displays.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Yes, I think you would have to stretch the ARCHICAD application window across multiple displays because in Windows applications no subwindow can be outside the boundaries of the main application window. (On MacOS they can be). So this is a Windows limitation which ARCHICAD has to adapt to.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
Nvidia has nView software that allows you to span programs across multiple screens. I haven't tried it in a long time though. I have some problems with working actively on 2 screens or more, I get bad posture and muscles will hurt.

I use my 2ndary screen for browser, mails, PDF docs mostly. I put the windows task bar there too, so my main screen is all archicad.
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
Eh, just tried it now, actually, it made ArchiCAD19 crash, so your mileage may vary
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Anonymous
Not applicable
Erwin wrote:
I use my 2ndary screen for browser, mails, PDF docs mostly. I put the windows task bar there too, so my main screen is all archicad.
Exactly what I'm doing over here too.
And also sometimes I have some Archicad Palettes in the 2nd display, I wish Windows doesn't have that limitation.
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
Oh yeah, most undocked palettes 'live' there too. SEO, complex profile manager, cinerender, and so on. Except Quick Layers, that just moves around the screen the whole day.
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Anonymous
Not applicable
thinking again about this yesterday - currently in windows 10 version, you can move all tool pallets to another display. Therefore you can assume, that it's a archicad limitation, not the OS.
Anonymous
Not applicable
All,
As a NEW explorer of AC21, I would like this functionality too. My current platform, Chief Architect X10 for Windows, does allow you to detach a view and drag it to a separate monitor. I am using 3 24" 1920 x 1080 ASUS monitors in Extended mode so my desktop spans all three plus the 17" Laptop running the system. The laptop sits on a desk away from my triple screen arrangement with a separate Keyboard, Mouse, and 3D Connexion Space mouse giving me a virtual workstation that is awesome. Chief works great in this configuration, as does Vectorworks 2018 but both REVIT 2018 and Archicad require I stretch the work screen across in order to maintain full view of each view port open. It works but is not ideal in comparison to Chief and Vectorworks. So for Revit and AC21 I use two of the three (Center and Right) and the third (Left) for the Navigation, and other tabs that are currently undockable on the windows platform. I do hope AC21 releases an update soon with TRUE multi-monitor for the Windows platform. If not, Vectorworks is taking the lead.

Thanks,
SIDG
Learn and get certified!