BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Windows align with complex profile (dome)

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,

I am working on a project where the client uses a particular construction methods. This construction method ensures that I have to follow a certain line of the roof. This line is made with a complex profile. Now I have drawn this. and I would like to make some windows. Unfortunately I do not get the windows are sloped or on an angle. Is this possible? how do I do this?

Sorry for my bad english
6 REPLIES 6
Barry Kelly
I guess technically every complex profile wall is actually vertical (it is just the profile that can be any shape) which is why your window is vertical.

Can you use the shell tool to make the roof?
Then you could add skylights for your windows.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
Punch a hole in the dome with solid element operators or an empty window and either use one of the skylight OBJECTS (they also exist as objects, beside the skylight tool) to fill the hole or just model something out of roofs/morphs/curtainwall.
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Anonymous
Not applicable
Barry wrote:
Can you use the shell tool to make the roof?
Then you could add skylights for your windows.

Barry.
That is not possible i have tried that
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
GuillaumeArchicad:

It is possible, but takes some editing of the Complex Profile: in the Profile Manager, turn on the Opening Reference lines, then edit the line to follow the curve of the dome. I had better results creating straight segments on the inside of the dome rather than a curve, and aligning a segment with the placement of the window. In the Window's settings > Preview and Positioning > Opening Plane - Associated to Wall (not Vertical).

You should add a Signature to your Profile (click the Profile button near the top of this page) with your ArchiCAD version and operating system (see mine for an example) for more accurate help in this forum.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Barry Kelly
David wrote:
...in the Profile Manager, turn on the Opening Reference lines, then edit the line to follow the curve of the dome...
Thanks David,
I didn't even think about editing the opening reference line.
I always assumed it was vertical.
Still learning after all these years.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
DGSketcher
Legend
Top tip of the month! I thought the opening lines were fixed at vertical too. Thank you David
Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
Learn and get certified!