BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Windows with chamfered reveals?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Please can someone advise how you would model a window in a thick wall with chamfered jambs, head and cill on both the inside and outside - such as a slit wall in a castle for example. Would you use SEOs to create the opening first and then somehow place in the glass window inside a thinner centrally placed wall sitting inside the chamfered opening or is there another way?

Nats
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Nats,

No need to to get into SEOs to do what you want!

Its easy to adjust window reveal angle and size in the window settings. See attached images.

Then just place it in a thick wall like you would do with a standard window.

Any window can be set to have custom reveals, so just choose the one thats closest to what you need and adjust the dimensions to suit.

Hope thats clear!

Cheers,

Pete.
window_splay1.jpg
Anonymous
Not applicable
Here's wot it looks like!!
window_splay2.jpg
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hmmm thanks I have noticed that before - but it doesnt include sloping reveals on the inner face as well as the outer. I need to do both unfortunately (bloody Victorian architects mumble mumble).

Nats
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Nats,

Sorry, didn't read your question fully!

I think it is possible to do what you want, but you are going to have to get tricky.

Personally, if there is only a couple in your building, I'd build individual shapes using the mesh tool and save them as dumb library parts in the correct orientation to SEO from the outer face of the wall. Patch the 2d view to get it to display on plan correctly.

If there are many in the building of differing size I'd be tempted to edit the library part to make it more intelligent and do some of the work for you. You could make it so you could adjust the width, height and splay angle parametrically and how it displays in 2d. More work but maybe useful in future jobs.

Maybe GS will add it to the window settings in a future version hopefully.

(I'd also like an empty door opening that you could set different reveal settings if they are reading this! as I don't think you can turn off the actual frame and door currently)

The attached shows the original mesh and the library part SEOed from the wall. (I haven't bothered to patch the 2d.)

There are probably other (better?) ways of doing it as well, feel free to add them below anyone!
window_splay3.jpg
Anonymous
Not applicable
nats wrote:
Hmmm thanks I have noticed that before - but it doesnt include sloping reveals on the inner face as well as the outer. I need to do both unfortunately (bloody Victorian architects mumble mumble).

Nats
Yeah, that double chamfer looks like a bear to do.

You guys are lucky at least to have the single side chamfer. The US library only has an empty opening which has to be added to and aligned with an actual window.

Aside from making custom windows or working with SEOs and patches, the only fairly simple way to do it is to put two walls back to back and align the window in one with an empty, chamfered opening in the other.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Putting two walls together is a very good idea but will they meld together correctly or shaw a line between them? I'll have to try it out. I cant possibly begin to change library objects myself - Ive had a look and it all seems very complicated, even with my past basic programming knowledge!

SEOs would be a possible way to go but its a pain having hidden cutting objects all around the place. You should be able to just click the wall and model a new opening in it directly by using the mouse in 3d! But I suppose thats just too simple! Introduce things like that and the program might become more architect friendly. Although I suppose thats what Sketch Up has done which is probably why its taken the architectural market by storm.
Anonymous
Not applicable
The trick with the walls is to use composites and make the back side contour line white (at least in the printing pen set). As long as the fills are the same the same they will clean up in section.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Very crafty.

I know someone here who did something similar to model sloping jambs inside and out using loads of separate polygonal walls but he didnt have to model sloping cills or heads. And I dont know how they would appear in perspective - probably would have loads of lines between them.

Some good solutions here cheers.
rob2218
Enthusiast
I tracked down this post....and I too have the same issue.
Splayed edges in the doors on both "INTERIOR" and "EXTERIOR" faces of the wall. How to accomplish?
Come on guys...I like your crafty "void" mesh solution but really? Do we need to do this every darn door or window that requires a double splayed chamfered edges??? at the jambs.
...Bobby Hollywood live from...
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Windows7 -OS, MAC Maverick OS
Learn and get certified!