BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Wrong 3D and rendering representation in ArchiCAD 24

Anonymous
Not applicable
The 3D model and rendering are generated with wrong representation when using the internal reference line, but the representation is correct when using the central or external reference line. Why? How to solve?

ArchiCAD 24 4018 (Brazil)
Intel i7-3632QM
Intel Graphics HD 4000, driver 10.18.10.5069 (27/12/2018)
Windows 10 2016 LTSB, version 1607
8 REPLIES 8
Lingwisyer
Guru
The issue there is that you have reference lines of walls that you are not wanting to connect to each other touching. It is a known occurrence. Can you not just do what you have on the other side and use an internal reference line?

You could also put each group of walls on a different Intersection Group in which case they will ignore each other.

Ling.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win11 | i9 10850K | 64GB | RX6600 Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660
Barry Kelly
This will always be a problem when you have 3 or more walls touching at the same reference point.
2 walls will always try to trim to each other and the others just have to fit in somehow.

Even juggling the junction order number in this case (4 walls) does not seem to help.

The best solution is to separate the reference lines so you can control which walls trim to each other better.

Or have them in separate layers and each layer needs a different intersection priority number so the do not interact with each other.

It is a bit odd here though that the 2D does not match the 3D.
I got the same result when I tried.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Ling and Barry. But ....

All the solutions presented apply, but the biggest issue, which was also tryeded by Barry, is that 2D does not correspond to 3D and rendering images, and that is a BUG. How to report to the Graphisoft team?

Thanks again
Barry Kelly
Dailson wrote:
All the solutions presented apply, but the biggest issue, which was also tryeded by Barry, is that 2D does not correspond to 3D and rendering images, and that is a BUG. How to report to the Graphisoft team?

You have brought it up here and sometimes that gets noticed - but it is not an official way to report anything.
To report it properly you need to contact your local Archicad support people.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Dailson wrote:
Thanks Ling and Barry. But ....

Thanks again

They will probably not consider it a BUG. It's just one of a hundred other "anomalies" that bug us but are not a coding error. Problems with functionality are per their definition a little different sometimes than a BUG. There is a way in 2D view to know if this anomaly will be seen in 3D. It's when you see this 2d "anomaly"

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

runxel
Legend
Let's be honest, this could and would never be built like that in real life. So the call for a bug is rather superfluous.

On the other hand for situations where you indeed can't get it to work with the reference lines you can always just use a profiled column.
Lucas Becker | AC 27 on Mac | Author of Runxel's Archicad Wiki | Editor at SelfGDL | Developer of the GDL plugin for Sublime Text |
«Furthermore, I consider that Carth... yearly releases must be destroyed»
runxel wrote:
Let's be honest, this could and would never be built like that in real life. ...

Perhaps not in any rational and efficient design for new construction, but I have seen this done more than once in order to accommodate existing conditions. Also, keep in mind that Walls are used to modeling all sorts of things that are not walls. There are probably no long-time ArchiCAD users who have not encountered some sort of unconventional situation where Walls don't clean up properly without a lot of fuss. Fortunately, the old Patch Tool is still available for some of these odd situations. Although, I can't remember the last time I used it. It works in 3D Document views as well.

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Dear All,

Thank you very much for your inputs on this issue!

This turned out to be a known limitation in Archicad. The main problem is that Archicad doesn't really support using walls with collinear overlapping reference lines. There are issues with 3D junctions, 2D representation, and quantity calculation when you model this way.

As a workaround, I suggest putting the walls into different layers, then assign different intersection groups to the layers. This will prevent the wall from joining in 3D.

I hope this explains the situation. If you have any further questions, feel free to ask me again!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT

Learn and get certified!