Choose your top Archicad wishes!

Read more
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Zoomed Out Too Much

Anonymous
Not applicable
I know this has been covered before, but for the life of me, I can't find the threads, so my apologies for the repeat.

Somehow my model has gotten so that when I click on "Fit in Window", it zooms out so far that the whole model is only a fraction of an inch long in the window. Even if I zoom out further and try to select everything in the view, only the model elements I can already account for get selected.

How do I fix this?

TIA.

Wendy

Archicad Zoom0001.jpg
11 REPLIES 11
Aussie John
Newcomer
There is some rouge item lurking a great distance from the project. If you choose the arrow tool and then command A to select all you probably will see a selection dot in a corner. Zoom to that and see if you are able to delete it.
Cheers John
John Hyland : ARINA : www.arina.biz
User ver 4 to 12 - Jumped to v22 - so many options and settings!!!
OSX 10.15.6 [Catalina] : Archicad 22 : 15" MacBook Pro 2019
[/size]
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks, John, but as I said, that isn't turning up anything, alas - at least not that my aging eyes can detect.

Wendy
Anonymous
Not applicable
It is possible that some element is pretending to be much larger than it really is but without placing hotspots )or even anything visible) out at the extremities. Without going into the details about why this is, you can check by doing the old "binary search".

Turn on your half the model on and half off and see if the problem occurs. Then reverse the settings and see if it happens with the other half. If it only occurs in one half and not the other repeat the process until you've narrowed down to the problem element. You can do this with layers and/or the marquee tool.

Of course this isn't any help if the problem is not related to any elements and will be trickier if there are several problem parts, but it is the easies thing to start with.
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Wendy, try hitting Ctrl+A while in the arrow tool. Look for anything that becomes selected. You may have to 'Zoom to Selection' (Ctrl+Shift+').

I've seen this happen a lot with imported files, often where the fill handle is miles away from the fill. Also when the elements are a long way from the project origin, where other elements are.

Cheers,
Link.
__archiben
Booster
had this happen to a colleague in a sect/elev window last week. there was nothing that we could find causing the excessive zoom. no hidden hotspots, no large radial dimensions, no floating fill handles, etc. no object hotspots a long way from project zero.

only way we could resolve it was deleting the sect/elev and create a new one. luckily the model was still quite basic . . .
Link wrote:
I've seen this happen a lot with imported files, often where the fill handle is miles away from the fill.
i've heard that this can lead to people experiencing 'empty' detail windows . . .

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Anonymous
Not applicable
I have had the same problem and could not find any "remote" element. This has only occured since I have had AC 10

Don Lee
AC10 987
2-1.8 G5 OS 10.4.7
Rod Jurich
Contributor
Wendy wrote:
Somehow my model has gotten so that when I click on "Fit in Window", /......... only the model elements I can already account for get selected.

How do I fix this?
Wendy, your last edit. Was it a roof? Sometimes editing an adjacent roof plane will throw up an almost infinite (distance) node off screen. If it was a roof plane, then I'd suggest selecting some, not all to view in 3D window. You will then narrow down your search. That is if it is a roof plane.
Rod Jurich
AC4.55 - AC14 INT (4204) |  | OBJECTiVE |
Anonymous
Not applicable
Matthew wrote:
It is possible that some element is pretending to be much larger than it really is but without placing hotspots )or even anything visible) out at the extremities.
Thanks, Matt; that's what it turned out to be. I found it yesterday, entirely by chance. It was an elevation in the middle of the drawing whose extents had somehow gotten monstrously long. As soon as I deleted it, the problem went away.

I'm still really puzzled about why it didn't show up when I did a ctrl-A, though. The length of the line was *very* prominent when selected directly.
Without going into the details about why this is, you can check by doing the old "binary search".

Turn on your half the model on and half off and see if the problem occurs. Then reverse the settings and see if it happens with the other half.
I'll keep that in mind for the next time I run into this. Thanks.

Wendy
Anonymous
Not applicable
Rod wrote:
Wendy, your last edit. Was it a roof? Sometimes editing an adjacent roof plane will throw up an almost infinite (distance) node off screen. If it was a roof plane, then I'd suggest selecting some, not all to view in 3D window. You will then narrow down your search. That is if it is a roof plane.
Got me, Rod. I tried to fix it for too long before I posted the question here. I don't even usually remember what my last move was two seconds after I did it anyways <g>.

You would still think that a ctrl-A would find it, though, no matter what it is, especially with all layers turned on.

Wendy