Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

ac23 creates new version names every time i save a project. how do i turn this off?

heathldesign
Expert
Just installed AC23 and the first thing i noticed is that my save location is being filed up with multiple versions of the same file, each with a sequential suffix ie: "fancy house.pln" then when i save and close it it will be named "fancy house 1.pla" etc. so my folder is getting filled up. and when i try to use the fancy new window that opens up when you start AC that shows recent files, it does not show the last saved version, but the last opened version. so is there a way to manage this new feature, or turn it off?
MAC Studio 2022 M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 10 cores, AC26 5003 Apple Silicon USA
6 REPLIES 6
Barry Kelly
By any chance are you saving to a file share location?
i.e. Dropbox, iCloud, etc.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
heathldesign
Expert
yes, icloud.
Barry Kelly
heathldesign wrote:
yes, icloud.

I believe that is your problem then.
iCloud is trying to sync the file while Archicad is trying to save it.

I would save to a regular folder and then copy it manually across to the iCloud folder when you want it to sync.

There is a post here somewhere, I'll see if I can find it.

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Barry Kelly
Here you go.
Seems to be a particular problem with iCloud, not so much some other cloud share apps.

https://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=63284

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
heathldesign
Expert
odd though. i've been using icloud for years to back up and have not had a problem with previous versions of AC. it's only started to happen since i upgraded to AC 23. no other changes or upgrades.
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi,

Thank you for sharing the issue!

Unfortunately, from my experience and understanding, this is an issue with iCloud syncing. Either it is caused by iCloud trying to keep multiple saved versions of a file for backup purpose, or it is something else. Either way, this issue has been reported by multiple macOS users with various software:
https://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comments/5lb8mr/icloud_drive_and_duplicating_files/
https://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comments/2k0cfx/icloud_drive_constantly_duplicating_folders/clhk13s/

To be honest, I did not know how to properly eliminate this issue, as it seems like Apple did not do anything about it for years! The only solution I can suggest is to save a local copy instead, then move it to iCloud for other purposes.

Thank you very much for your understanding!

I wish you a great day!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT