Choose your top Archicad wishes!

Read more
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

arch w/ complex profile

Tom Krowka
Booster
Am stumped as how to create an arch with a complex profile. The idea is a masonry arch over an opening in elevation. Can't do it with a beam unless I can curve a beam, which I can't do. Can do it with a wall or column either. Tried a shell but that will make a donut shape with the profile on the inside or outside of the donut, not on the face.

Any suggestions?
Tom Krowka Architect
Windows 11, AC Version 26
Thomas@wkarchwk.com
www.walshkrowka.com
13 REPLIES 13
Tom Krowka
Booster
Think about it in terms of stretching a beam in the Z axis with a curve at the top and bottom of the beam.
Tom Krowka Architect
Thomas@wkarchwk.com
www.walshkrowka.com
Dwight
Newcomer
make it sideways with a complex profile wall.
ScreenSnapz033.png
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello Tom,
If AC 16 has a lib part called Masonry Arch Segmental and a door opening
called Arch head opening then use those to make your masonry arch.
Peter Devlin
Karl Ottenstein
Tom wrote:
Am stumped as how to create an arch with a complex profile. The idea is a masonry arch over an opening in elevation. Can't do it with a beam unless I can curve a beam, which I can't do. Can do it with a wall or column either. Tried a shell but that will make a donut shape with the profile on the inside or outside of the donut, not on the face.

Any suggestions?
Hi Tom,

Since your sig says you're on 16, you can also use the new Morph tool. See if this tutorial helps:

http://www.youtube.com/embed/BCKuuhmofTk?hd=1&autoplay=1

I grabbed that link from this page with links to all of the Morph tutorial videos:
http://www.graphisoft.com/products/archicad/design.html

If just a masonry arch, then Dwight's method is probably the easiest though. I'd save the Morph for unusually shaped extrusions...

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.7, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Tom Krowka
Booster
Got all that. But the arch has a complicated face; it's actually for a mediterranean style house with stucco trim with curved faces. Like a complicated piece of casing around a door with an arched top.
Tom Krowka Architect
Thomas@wkarchwk.com
www.walshkrowka.com
Dwight
Newcomer
So you are using the morph approach, then.

The quickest way would be to use a complex profile on a floor plane, convert to morph, then stand it up.
Dwight Atkinson
Tom Krowka
Booster
Here is what the profile looks like. I want to run it in the XY axis, then stretch the top in the Z axis to form a curve. I know I can use the masonry arch object, but it will only do brick, not stucco. Can't get rid of the brick lines.

This can't be that hard, can it?
Tom Krowka Architect
Thomas@wkarchwk.com
www.walshkrowka.com
Tom Krowka
Booster
Darn....did not want to spend an hour figuring it out. Deadline time is upon me. Is morph the only way to stand up a profile in plan.
Tom Krowka Architect
Thomas@wkarchwk.com
www.walshkrowka.com
Dwight
Newcomer
You can make it an object like in the olden days, but it is easy to stand a morph up.
Dwight Atkinson