BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

article on 3 methods of intersecting walls and slabs

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm looking for an article the explained three methods of intersecting exterior walls and slabs (floors). At least one of the 3 methods gave details on how the intersection can be done so the section renders properly. I'd like to start using that method.
Can anyone point me to that article or give me some tips on how to model my walls and slabs so they render properly in the section view?
Thank you,
John
15 REPLIES 15
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi John,
I model walls and slabs in this way:
1. Top height of the external walls is top plate of the bearing slab
2. External edge of the bearing slab meets the insulation skin of the wall
3. Then I use SEO....walls as target, slab as operator; Subtraction.
4. Finish floors are Composite Slabs on their own Layer. Their external edge is on internal skin of the External walls.
Wall - Slab_SEO.jpg
Anonymous
Not applicable
http://www.archicadwiki.com/ModelingRelatedWallsAndSlabs

Found this and although I'm unsure if this is what you were referring to I thought it relevant and interesting anyway. Never thought about using beams to model insulation. Interesting.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
There is also another one:

http://www.archicadwiki.com/WallSlabIntersections
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you for the links. Both articles are helpful.
Right now I am experimenting (in terms of our CAD procedure) with modeling all of the floor and roof framing elements in 3D in a way that the 2D structural plans are automatically generated from the 3D model.
I'm interested in doing this so that I know that the structural elements really fit the design.
I'm also trying to do this in a a way that will also generate clean and accurate sections and elevations too.
I think that it is all possible.
Achille Pavlidis
Enthusiast
After reading the two articles, and considering also the implications of using BIMx, I would like to ask:
How do you guys model the floor finish?
Using the composite slab is I think the best method both in terms of time/productivity, and also BIMwise as you can define the load-bearing structure from the floor finish

In terms of BIMx representation though you have then a single floor finish material showing in rooms that have actually a different material... What to do? Using a separate slab to represent the floor finish is an option but I think will cause a lot more work... Whats your take?
Mac OSX 13.6.6 | AC 27 INT 5003 FULL
Anonymous
Not applicable
For starters, let me point out that I usually design buildings with concrete slabs.

The structural slab is modeled on it's own STR layer. Floor and ceiling finishes are modeled with independent composite slabs. This way, I can have different finishes in sections for different rooms.

It sounds like a lot of extra work, but floor and ceiling slabs are modeled with the magic wand.

Google translate this:
http://architruques.blogspot.com/2011/01/cortes-limpos-no-archicad.html
Anonymous
Not applicable
John,

Whatever method you choose, remember display order works in section views. Bringing the slab's display order forward, covers the excess wall nicely. SEO works, but I find display order more flexible in this case.

A 4th method not mentioned in the Wiki is to extend single story walls down to the top of wall of the story below. If so, change the walls' floor plan display to home story only.

HTH, Snap
Djordje
Ace
Krippahl wrote:
For starters, let me point out that I usually design buildings with concrete slabs.

The structural slab is modeled on it's own STR layer. Floor and ceiling finishes are modeled with independent composite slabs. This way, I can have different finishes in sections for different rooms.

It sounds like a lot of extra work, but floor and ceiling slabs are modeled with the magic wand.

Google translate this:
http://architruques.blogspot.com/2011/01/cortes-limpos-no-archicad.html
Not extra work at all. This modeling technique allows for the model to be used beyond the design and documentation phase. Construction wise, this is the only correct approach.
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Achille Pavlidis
Enthusiast
I don't want to argue against anyones work method, but how can you say this is not extra work?

I have tried myself this approach, and have reached to the conclusion that it adds a lot of extra work, first in any minimal wall alteration there is the need to change the slab that is the floor finishing. Also the magic wand works only up to a point... what happens in the space left by the door opening?

Also I don't know how to express this... but I think it goes against the philosophy of Archicad. I mean that AC has a lot of parametres in its tools like doors, windows and stairs that allow for the computation of floor finishing that in my opinion indicates that the "correct" way is to use composite slabs.

I have used this method up until now, but I found it to be problematic with BIMx that need full detail to produce the correct visual result
Mac OSX 13.6.6 | AC 27 INT 5003 FULL
Learn and get certified!