Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

can I stop beams and walls from auto connecting?

Gus
Newcomer
There have been many times when I wan't to turn off the function where beams automatically lengthen in order to meet up with one another. Can I turn this off somehow? Same thing happens with walls sometimes.
www.michaelgustavson.com Architect NY WI IL
Madison WI
Archicad21 MEP EcoDesSTAR Win10-64-bit
EliteBook8570W Corei7-3630QM@2.40GHz
QuadroK2000m RAM32 (2)250GBSSDs
4 Monitors Internet:4Up60Down
9 REPLIES 9
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
Gus:

Change the Beam Priority of one of the beams (Beam Settings > Floor Plan and Section > Structure), the Beams' reference lines cannot intersect. For Walls, they need to be placed on layers with different Layer Intersection Group numbers.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Gus
Newcomer
Thanks David. I will give those things a try. I visited your website from the link at the bottom of your post. I like your work. Take care.
Michael
www.michaelgustavson.com Architect NY WI IL
Madison WI
Archicad21 MEP EcoDesSTAR Win10-64-bit
EliteBook8570W Corei7-3630QM@2.40GHz
QuadroK2000m RAM32 (2)250GBSSDs
4 Monitors Internet:4Up60Down
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
Gus wrote:
I visited your website from the link at the bottom of your post. I like your work.
Thanks for taking the time to look at my work and posting back.

David
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
David wrote:
Gus:

Change the Beam Priority of one of the beams (Beam Settings > Floor Plan and Section > Structure), the Beams' reference lines cannot intersect.
David
Hey David,
Strange as it may sound, but I didn't know this.
I learned something new today about ArchiCAD.
What do you know?!
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
Strange as it may sound, but I didn't know this. I learned something new today about ArchiCAD. What do you know?!
Hi Laszlo:

I could have written that quote. This is one reason I like to follow most of the forum threads, I can learn more about the details of ArchiCAD.

David
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
Barry Kelly
laszlonagy wrote:
David wrote:
Gus:

Change the Beam Priority of one of the beams (Beam Settings > Floor Plan and Section > Structure), the Beams' reference lines cannot intersect.
David
Hey David,
Strange as it may sound, but I didn't know this.
I learned something new today about ArchiCAD.
What do you know?!
If I change the beam priority then the reference lines still trim together in plan.
It just affects how the trim each other in 3D - i.e. which one has prioriy over the other.

Or am I just misunderstanding what the original request was?
Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
Barry wrote:
...Or am I just misunderstanding what the original request was?
Barry:

The Beam Priority can be used to show separated beams when the reference lines are inside the second beam. Depending on the Priority, the results will vary. This is a simpler solution than using different Layer Intersection Group numbers, but that may be required depending on the needed results. The Walls do not work this way. The Beams' intersections in 3D are also affected.

David
Beam_Intersection_2D.gif
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
Barry Kelly
Must be a Mac thing?
It doesn't matter for me if I click on the front edge or inside the beam below or above the reference line - the reference line all trim automatically.
Priority strength maes no difference.
The only time they don't trim is when I click outside below or above the beam.

Barry.
beam_trim_2.jpg
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
Barry wrote:
Must be a Mac thing?
Barry:

I doubt it, except for system specific items (like font handling) there hasn't been much difference between the Mac & PC versions. I cannot reproduce your result, don't know which setting is the cause.

David
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture