Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

circular walls and wall curved in 2 dimensions like a sphere

Anonymous
Not applicable
My first question has to do with circular walls. In my design I have a walled area that is confined by a circular wall (like a round house). Creating the wall is fairly simple but what Archicad creates is 2 semi-circular walls instead of just one round one. The issue I have with this is that if the point of where the 2 walls meet is where I want to place a door or window or opening Archicad will not allow the object to overlap the joint. The result is that it forces me to rotate the walls 90 degrees or some other value that allows the placement of the object in the correct location without being truncated by the joint where the walls meet. I would like to know if anyone knows how to force Archicad into creating a single circular wall without a joint that truncates objects.

My second question is regarding spherical walls. I would like to be able to create a hollow sphere that I could put windows and doors into. The only solution that I seem to have right now is to create the sphere using my 3D solid cad software and save it as a .3ds file and then merge it into my design. Does Archicad have the ability to create walls that are spheroid in shape?
Any and all info is appreciated. Thanks
4 REPLIES 4
B_E_A_T_
Advocate
For the sphere (second question) I would suggest the revolved shell.
(òÓ,)_\,,/

www.studiov2.be

Archicad 24/25/26
Rhino/Grasshopper
BIMcollab ZOOM

>>> Read my book!<<<
Barry Kelly
And for your first question that is just the way Archicad does circular walls.
The first point you pick to determine the wall circumference will determine where the node is - it doesn't have to be at 0°, 90°, 180°, etc.

You can reposition the nodes (i.e. stretch them around the circumference) so that you can have more than a 180° semi circle.
However you can not stretch it to a full 360° so there will always be a small gap you have to fill with another wall.

So stretch one half to be a very short wall and stretch the other half around to fill the gap. Position the nodes somewhere between your windows and doors.
I think this is easier than rotating.

I have no idea why we can have a 360° circular line but not a wall - something to do with the 3D component of it perhaps?

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
DrWho:

For the Spherical Wall you can create this profile for the Wall Tool using the Profile Manager. This will allow you to place Windows and Doors into these Walls.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi folks:

Thanks for all the input. I will be trying your suggestions later today. And thanks for the explanation regarding the circular walls but I agree if they can do full circles with lines they should be able to do the same with walls. As for the 3D part of the software I assume that the 3D modeler is a surface based kernel as opposed to a solid model kernel. What I find odd is that all of the other surface modelers like those used in Revit, Rhino, etc. allow for circular 3D objects so I can't figure out why Archicad can't. Maybe one of the Archicad programmers could shed some light on this issue.

Thanks again.