Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

convert multiple 2d elements

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi all, I have a silly question. How to convert multiple 2d elements into 3d objects, ie slabs.

for example, I have a number of solid fills (same colour), and I want to convert them into slabs. I have tried using the magic wands, but it only works on one fill per click. Is it possible that to select all the fills and convert all by just one click? I feel I am so stupid by clicking them one by one.

I will be glad if someone can enlighten me Many thanks
5 REPLIES 5
Eduardo Rolon
Before using the Magic Wand on the Slabs use the "Fill Consolidation" command under Edit -> Reshape.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Anonymous
Not applicable
Another trick to fitting a slab (or other polygonal shape) to a collection of elements it what I call "shrink wrapping."

1. Draw the slab around the stuff you want to fit it to.
2. Select the slab.
3. Select the subtract icon in the pet palette.
4. Magic wand the space inside the slab that is outside the stuff.

You just have to be sure the join the slab along one edge of the stuff you are fitting to. It doesn't do donuts.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
I wonder how much effort this could be for someone to write an Add-On for.
Does not sound like a complicated task.
One would select all elements, specify the element type to convert to, and issue the command.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi I was trying to fit a slab to a number of fill shapes except every time i tried to subtract the slab from the positive space it told me

"Region not found around this point!"

It subtracted the slab in areas where the fill was defining the edges on all sides "doughnut style" but not in the undefined spaces
Anonymous
Not applicable
I found a workaround to do this. I had hundreds of 2d fills to convert into slabs and I didn't want to use the magic wand to achieve that.

1- Create a profile with all the 2d fills and create a column with it
2- Export it from the 3D view as a .3DS file
3- Import in Sketchup (select "Merge coplanar faces" in the import options)
4- Explode to get seperate volumes
5- Save as a Sketchup 6 .skp file
6- Import in Archicad with an old Sketchup plugin (plugin for Archicad 11 works). As a Mac user I had to use a Parallels Desktop to use de Windows version of Archicad
(newer version of the plugin create an objet which has no utility, older ones create slabs, walls ...)
7- Use manual rules to import: horizontal faces -> slabs

(you'll get twice the slabs, one for the upper side and one for the lower side - think to put a different texture for both sides of the column so that, when importing back in archicad, you'll get the duplicate with another texture. it's easier to find and select)