BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

crashing in section elevation window.

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am working on a really big house, and from time to time for reasons I still can't find, it crashes, or more accurately hangs indefinately. I quit archicad and reopen it and up comes the temporary file prompt, I accept, then the file opens and the whole top storey is missing! 7.0r3 pc.xp.
5 REPLIES 5
Djordje
Ace
Shae wrote:
I am working on a really big house, and from time to time for reasons I still can't find, it crashes, or more accurately hangs indefinately.
By the subject of your post, I presume that happens when you are in S/E window. Live or unlinked? Doing exactly what?

This sounds like memory problem. How long are you in ArchiCAD on the avergae before hangup/crash happens?
I quit archicad and reopen it and up comes the temporary file prompt, I accept, then the file opens and the whole top storey is missing! 7.0r3 pc.xp.
How do you quit?

I would also reboot; not only restart, reBOOT - shout down and then power up again. Clears all (or most of) the rubbish accumulated.

If possible, it would be good if your tech support can take a look at the file and any Bug Reports that you might have created.
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
First thanks DJ for your quick responses to my question in two of the forumns that I have posted questions
Shae wrote:
I am working on a really big house, and from time to time for reasons I still can't find, it crashes, or more accurately hangs indefinately.
Djordje wrote:
By the subject of your post, I presume that happens when you are in S/E window. Live or unlinked? Doing exactly what?
Yes it is the S/E window and it is unlinked and it is when
I regenerate from the model.
Djordje wrote:
This sounds like memory problem. How long are you in ArchiCAD on the avergae before hangup/crash happens?
I thought of that too but I have a gig of ram and it has no
visable reason for crashing. I am running two apps at the
same time. quick books timer and real media player playing
a radio station. Sometimes outlook too.
I quit archicad and reopen it and up comes the temporary file prompt, I accept, then the file opens and the whole top storey is missing! 7.0r3 pc.xp.
Djordje wrote:
How do you quit?
I hit the x in the upper right hand corner and then end the application. Is there a way to stop a current process in archicad?
Djordje wrote:
I would also reboot; not only restart, reBOOT - shout down and then power up again. Clears all (or most of) the rubbish accumulated.
yes I failed to mention I reboot also. sometimes I dont but
the result is the same.
Djordje wrote:
If possible, it would be good if your tech support can take a look at the file and any Bug Reports that you might have created.
yes, I normally don't but, last time this happened, this morning it gave me no bug report. I will place one next time.
Djordje
Ace
Shae wrote:
First thanks DJ for your quick responses to my question in two of the forumns that I have posted questions
Welcome
Shae wrote:
Yes it is the S/E window and it is unlinked and it is when I regenerate from the model.
Djordje wrote:
Shae wrote:
I thought of that too but I have a gig of ram and it has no
visable reason for crashing. I am running two apps at the
same time. quick books timer and real media player playing
a radio station. Sometimes outlook too.
Hmmmm ... Outlook and Real player - known memory hogs. Do one thing: increase the Windows temp file size, preferably on ANOTHER partition, to 2 or 4 gig. That would help, as the S/E generation is disk intensive.
I hit the x in the upper right hand corner and then end the application. Is there a way to stop a current process in archicad?
Backspace, CTRL . (CRTL period)
yes, I normally don't but, last time this happened, this morning it gave me no bug report. I will place one next time.
If it does not crash, there will be no bug report. Did you make sure that your layer combo is correct when refreshing the unlinked S/E?

HTH,
Djordje

HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
Djordje wrote:
Hmmmm ... Outlook and Real player - known memory hogs. Do one thing: increase the Windows temp file size, preferably on ANOTHER partition, to 2 or 4 gig. That would help, as the S/E generation is disk intensive.
I will give that a try. I will have to partition my hard drive.
Djordje wrote:
Backspace, CTRL . (CRTL period).
Very COOL!!!!! (don't tell me, its' in the manual)
Djordje wrote:
If it does not crash, there will be no bug report. Did you make sure that your layer combo is correct when refreshing the unlinked S/E?

Yes, I did, it is a very complex model.

Thanks for your help! THis forum works great!!!!!!
Djordje
Ace
Shae wrote:
Djordje wrote:
I will give that a try. I will have to partition my hard drive.
Don't, if you have enough space. Better leave it alone.

IF you have a separate partition/drive, and it is free, then OK.
Djordje

HP Omen
Learn and get certified!