BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

creating a vaulted roof

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am making a vaulted roof using complex profiled wall and two roofs. The wall is the vault and is trimmed to the roofs. The finished product is rectangular but the building is a polygon. One roof corner is projecting through a wall where it shouldn't. I can trim it with a solid element operator. However the interior should show one spring line for the whole roof. Id also like to have the roof ends curve slightly (like a dome) and model the crickets along the perimeter. I get the impression I can do all this with OBJECTIVE. I have a trial but cannot figure this out.
3 REPLIES 3
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
dapDesign wrote:
I am making a vaulted roof using complex profiled wall and two roofs. The wall is the vault and is trimmed to the roofs. The finished product is rectangular but the building is a polygon. One roof corner is projecting through a wall where it shouldn't. [] I get the impression I can do all this with OBJECTIVE.
I'm not clear on all the details you are trying to draw, but I think you can do this with OBJECTiVE. Referring to the attached example:
  • 1. Draw a cross-section through the roof and create a new profiled object with OBJECTiVE > Component > New Profile.

2. Rotate the profile with OBJECTiVE > Tools > Rotate to view it side-on.

3. Cut the roof profile at the ends using OBJECTiVE > Tools > Split.

4. Rotate the roof into the correct (level) orientation with OBJECTiVE > Tools > Rotate and cut the corner off with OBJECTiVE > Tools > Split.

5. A copy of the roof can be used to carve out the underside (with a SEO). The finished result in 3D.

Vaulted Roof.jpg
Ralph Wessel BArch
Anonymous
Not applicable
That is great. However the corner that you cut off angles upward. I need that to edge to be at the same elevation as the rest of the spring line for the roof.
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
dapDesign wrote:
That is great. However the corner that you cut off angles upward. I need that to edge to be at the same elevation as the rest of the spring line for the roof.
Can you provide a sketch of the proposed roof?
Ralph Wessel BArch
Learn and get certified!