BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

curve resolution roofs vs walls , I don't get it

Anonymous
Not applicable
I made an arc and using the magic wand I changed it into a wall, the wall looks fine and curved.

I need to make a curved roof, so I use the same arc, magic wand and roof tool. now I get a highly facetted ( fragmented ) roof that consists of 4 pieces where as the wall was at least 100 segments or so ( and they are connected )....

where can I change the roof segment resolution or can I make the wall into the roof by rotating it around the x axis or so ???

any help / explanation would be helpful

thanks
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable
try options , magic wand settings..

i think its easy to handle , spend some time you will get it all or check help file about magic wand settings
Anonymous
Not applicable
AAAH.....

I under estimated the magic wand and it's setting, somehow it never occured to me to check the settings, even didn't know it had settings.
thanks for the help, it works like a dream....

still I not completely understand why it did it right with a wall but not with a roof by default.... perhaps something to look into.

Any idea if AC 11 has mathematically smooth curved roofs ( not segmented but rather described and resolution independend )

thanks again..
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
Any idea if AC 11 has mathematically smooth curved roofs ( not segmented but rather described and resolution independend )
adam:

The roof tool only uses segments (planes). To get a curved surface, you could use an object (like the dome part) or a profiled wall or beam that has a curved profile.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Anonymous
Not applicable
ok , if ur in love with curved walls , u can use it as a roof , saving it as a rotated object , as David said

draw wall ... look at it from side parallel view..save it as 3D object and thats it ,sorry i am in a hurry , my friends are waiting for me , if u need more explanation ask or search the forum
Anonymous
Not applicable
No, the roof tool remains unchanged since sloping edges and multiple geometry methods were introduced in version 6.

But, you can make some very nice doubly curved roof shapes with the new curved, profiled wall tool. Some nice features of this method is that you can individually set the materials of each surface of the profile (click the edge and chose the "C" shaped icon in the pet palette), and, since the profile can be as complex as you like (including multiple, unconnected fills) you can include the cornice and gutters as well.
Learn and get certified!