BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

doors and windows in Morph objects

Anonymous
Not applicable
Is it possible to place doors and windows into Morph objects?
If so what does the Morph object look like in plan view?
Basically, I want to be able to create Morph walls and roofs. Will that be possible using the Morph tool?
Thanks,
John
8 REPLIES 8
Barry Kelly
johncassel wrote:
Is it possible to place doors and windows into Morph objects?
If so what does the Morph object look like in plan view?
Basically, I want to be able to create Morph walls and roofs. Will that be possible using the Morph tool?
Thanks,
John
It is quite similar to the shell tool (but a lot more flexible).
You will need to create an opening, insert a wall and the add doors/windows.
The 2D view is a top down view from 3D so you will see the exact form.
You can create morphs that look like walls and roofs but they won't be walls and roofs.
You can't use composites with morphs so you have to create the surfaces on all sides of the walls/roofs but the good thing is they are completely flexible (surfaces don't need to be parallel, can be any shape, they don't even need to be flat (think mesh surface on each face)).
Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
TMA_80
Enthusiast
Well I think this should(have to) come or at least the ability to transform this morph into a shell...and then give the shell the ability to have doors and windows ( that is another subject )
AC12_20 |Win10_64bit|
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
TMA_80 wrote:
Well I think this should(have to) come or at least the ability to transform this morph into a shell...and then give the shell the ability to have doors and windows ( that is another subject )
The Morph Tool can model pretty much any form since it can have any number of nodes, edges and faces and they can be located at or moved to any point in space. So it is the most flexible tool of ArchiCAD yet, as far as I see it.
Which means any element can be converted into a Morph.
But how do you suppose this could be done the other way without losing geometry data? There are things you can do with the Morph but cannot do with the Shell Tool.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
TMA_80
Enthusiast
Hi Lazlo ,

It would be difficult for some cases like converting an existing wall into a morph tool. However for a box, a curved form or a massing pupose one ,this would be practical.

if I refer to the massing tool on Revit ,as far as I know, you can keep the mass (which could be compared to any morph form ) and attach a wall for exemple on the choosen surface(s) . Thus any modification on the mass willl be automatically applied for the wall for example.

But as the shell seems to be more flexible than the wall tool , it seems to be the most adapted tool.... its flexibillity , IMHO, lacks the possiblity to insert doors& windows...etc.

Just my thoughts.
AC12_20 |Win10_64bit|
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
OK, we are talking about two different things.
If I understand correctly, you are talking about taking one Face of a Mass element in Revit and creating a Wall or Slab or Curtain Wall based on it.

I was talking about converting the whole geometry of the Morph into a Shell, which is a different thing.

Actually the result of the one you talk about will be possible to achieve with the Morph Tool, it only takes more steps.

However, it is not automatic in Revit as far as I know. If you change the Mass, you have to update the Wall that was generated from one of its Faces based on the new geometry of the face.

But the Morph Tool is not only a Massing Tool. It is a general purpose Tool to create any geometry, be it Mass, Wall, Beam, Stair, Object or any kind of geometry. Of course it will be very suitable for Massing purposes as well.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
For those of us using Archicad for architecture, it is very important that tools like the Morph and Shell tools have a straightforward and easy way to insert doors and windows into them.
I want to be clear that a workaround involving inserting hidden walls into a morph object is not a straightforward or easy method to get doors and windows into architecture during the design phase. This is clearly a workaround and not a proper solution.

The morph tool sounds like a great feature but I strongly urge the developers to take it to the next step so we can use Archicad as a design tool and not just a complex tool for creating working drawings.

The are many programs for creating 3D objects. The inclusion of the Morph tool in Archicad is a great next step--bravo. I urge the Graphisoft developers to continue to improve it so that it becomes a useful tool for designing creative architecture.
TMA_80
Enthusiast
laszlonagy wrote:
I was talking about converting the whole geometry of the Morph into a Shell, which is a different thing.
That was the main idea
AC12_20 |Win10_64bit|
Anonymous
Not applicable
@johncassel is 100% right!

the benefit of using archicad for BIM is the parametric building elements, allowing for the easy placement and adjustment of these building elements. the morph tool currently exists as something separate from the building elements, juxtaposed as an add-on, but not integrated with the BIM platform, making it basically sketchup in archicad. I shouldn't have to adjust my morph to place a window in it. the window should cut a hole in the morph like it was a building element with user-defined ULV coordinates to assist in the placement trajectory of the inserted element, that is, windows need not be always vertical.

this really needs to be addressed.
Learn and get certified!