BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

files appearing empty in ArchiCAD 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
After loading ArchiCAD 10 to my Mac, I was working on two files in ArchiCAD 9. When I tried to open with version 9 them several days later, the program froze up. When trying to open them with ArchiCAD 10, the file opens with no model information. I can merge the files into a new ArchiCAD 10 file, whereupon all information appears. However, when these new files are saved, the files open with no model information when trying to reopen them. The only hint I have of what may be going wrong is that the zoom field at the bottom bar of the drawing says "nan %".
4 REPLIES 4
Djordje
Ace
Rachel wrote:
After loading ArchiCAD 10 to my Mac, I was working on two files in ArchiCAD 9. When I tried to open with version 9 them several days later, the program froze up. When trying to open them with ArchiCAD 10, the file opens with no model information. I can merge the files into a new ArchiCAD 10 file, whereupon all information appears. However, when these new files are saved, the files open with no model information when trying to reopen them. The only hint I have of what may be going wrong is that the zoom field at the bottom bar of the drawing says "nan %".
Plan or 3D window? You are zoomed too far away.

Try zooming to fit; if anything is very far from the rest of the project, that will not help.

Chek the 3D, axo view, with all the layers on and unlocked. If you see nothing, activate the arrow tool, Select All. Some black dots should appear - if you see one bunch at one side, and another on another side, that's it.

Otherwise, just merge the file into your template, and resave ...
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
I have nothing appearing in 3D or plan. I have zoomed extents and have all layers on and unlocked. Using the arrow tool, I select all and no dots or anything else appear. When I merge the file into a template, the 3D and plan appear, and I can modify it, and work on it, and save it as usual. However, when I reopen the file, it is again empty.

Another odd thing I just noticed in the files that appear empty is that in addition to the zoom reading "nan %", the x and y coordinate values and the angle and radius values all read "*******". Also, all attempts to rename and save, relocate and save, etc. have resulted in the same empty-appearing file, although clearly there is data in there because when I merge it into a new template, the model information appears, at least until the next time I try to open it. Also, I've asked others in my office to try and open these two files on their computers, and they find the same problem.
Thomas Holm
Booster
I had this problem once, I think it was in AC7. I don't remember how I fixed it

But since the files were AC9 when it happened first, I'd try to fix it there. Try to remember what happened just before you closed them before the problem appeared. Check if you've got a backup

Create a new empty file in AC9 - New and Reset.

Then Merge the problem file into it (it must be the AC9 version before anything done in AC10). Zoom to extents. Try to isolate the layer where the corrupt element resides.
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
Anonymous
Not applicable
The "********" co-ordinate field suggests a value too large to display, relative to the origin. If you merge to a new file, select all and move to a point nearer the origin, does that fix the problem?

(Maybe when you've merged try drawing a line from 0,0 to where your model exists, then zoom extents, turn co-ordinate delta button off to input 0,0)

HTH
Learn and get certified!