Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

gears?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,

I just got the student license and was trying to create a gear. I started to realize I may have the wrong software. Is Archicad useful for making gears or mechanical type drawings. I'd like to work on prototyping my ideas.

Thanks,
Tre
23 REPLIES 23
Anonymous
Not applicable
Ahh, not so much. Autodesk's Inventor is a great program for that. Check out the website

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/pc/index?id=13717655&siteID=123112
Anonymous
Not applicable
I guess I should say that I'm using a mac computer. I've been checking other options out and I am happy about Archicad cuz it has a free student license, so I'd like to use it, if I can.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Inventor has a free trial, but not a free student license. You can do CAD in ArchiCAD just fine, so if that's all you need, I guess this will work for you. Are you in school for engineering or just messing around at home?
Anonymous
Not applicable
I am not interested in bootcamp or parallels to run Autodesk. I am not going to pay for those software right now.

You stated that I can do CAD in AC. I have attempted this and wasn't able to find any resources on it.

Have you designed any gears on AC? If so please tell me how or where I can learn.

Thanks,
Tre
Anonymous
Not applicable
You can do 2D cad in ArchiCAD, but this is an ARCHITECTURAL program, and it does not have a "gear tool". If you need to do something more complex, I would suggest another program.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Ok Steve- so your point is that AC can't be used for making gears. Thanks for your posts.

I have come to the forums for a general opinion, this is not directed towards you steve, and welcome other users experience with this program.

Archicad seems to be a great resource for students but I am not in architecture. That being said AC seems to have a tool set that is far better than say doodle cad.

If you have used Archicad for making gears or mechanical drawings or know of others that have posted about this, I am in rcgroups a lot and the forum user there are very creative with their resources, please post it as well.

Thanks,
Tre
Dwight
Newcomer
Gears are easy enough to schematically model, but there is no parametric gear object - where, for instance, you could define the diameter, teeth, pitch, etc, and the application creates the specific object.....
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
That looks nice! I assume you can pan around it 360 degrees? I have never used a cad program, except for the minimum amount of time I spent on AC.

I see what your saying about not having gear specific tools. About how long did that take you to make?
Dwight
Newcomer
Less than five minutes:

1: Set up a complex profile for the gear body section, to be drawn as a circular wall.

2: Set up a complex profile for the tooth section, to be drawn as a column. For syncromesh — tilted teeth — tilt the column - the top and bottom column surface stay horizontal.

3: The final assembly must be saved as an object.
Dwight Atkinson