Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.
SOLVED!

hiding rail under the slab while showing it above

aryastark
Enthusiast

Screenshot_1.png

hello,

i want to hide other end of the rail under the slab. (slab is cover filled with background(it is not transparent.)) 

but when it has sent to under the slab both rail ends disappearing. i want to hide the part of the rail which reside under the slab, and maintain the remainder part.  

thanks.

Ver: AC23
Operating System: Windows 10 64-bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.6GHz
Memory: 16384MB RAM
Card name: Intel(R) HD Graphics 530
Chip type: GeForce GTX 960M
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin

Gerry correctly pointed out that this is a limitation: Display Order commands affect the whole element so either the whole Railing is above or below the Slab.

I can offer two workarounds. In the first, you split the Slab into two, and thanks to the new MVO option for Slab, the line where they meet can be eliminated on the Floor Plan. This results in two Slabs, which you can then move independently in Display Order to achieve different overlap situations on the two ends of the Railing.

Slab-RailingOverlap.png

Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Hello aryastark,

Did you check this option ?

Capture d’écran 2021-11-29 à 17.03.54.png

When you select the slab and the stair, what about element informations ?

Archicad places the drawn elements in 14 stacking levels :

1-4: Vide par défaut

5: Annotation

6: Dessin 2D

7: Eléments de Bibliothèque

8: Structures 3D

9: Polygones 2D

10: Figures

11-14: Vide par défaut

Christophe - FRANCE
Archicad Designer and Teacher
Archicad 15 to 27 FRA FULL

OS 11.6 Big Sur - MacBook Pro 2017 - 16Go RAM
"Quality is never an accident ; it's always the result of an intelligent effort" John Ruskin

thanks Christophe Fortineau, 

didn't checked because these are not referance layers. this view is second floor, and rail+stair is present on the first floor(and of course connecting to second floors base).

image_2021-11-29_193534.png

i wrote "slab is not transparent" because if it was, then bottom part would show(i mean the problem is not that it's transparent(because if slab would be transparent then rail would show in any case)) 

simply how can it present below the slab(invisible) for bottom end, and above the slab(visible) for upper end of the rail, in the 2D plan view. 

Ver: AC23
Operating System: Windows 10 64-bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.6GHz
Memory: 16384MB RAM
Card name: Intel(R) HD Graphics 530
Chip type: GeForce GTX 960M

I understood it correctly and read it correctly.
What I propose to you is to consider the position of the slab vis-à-vis the plan staircase (right click / display order) then the hatching (not transparent) of the slab see the function illustrated below -above ; if this function is active then all the hatching becomes transparent.
Finally, if this is still not convincing, perhaps it would be wise to change the type of display of the railing.

Christophe - FRANCE
Archicad Designer and Teacher
Archicad 15 to 27 FRA FULL

OS 11.6 Big Sur - MacBook Pro 2017 - 16Go RAM
"Quality is never an accident ; it's always the result of an intelligent effort" John Ruskin
Gerry Leonor
Advisor

yep, i too would like to know the fix to this.

the thing i understood with the display order is that it's very black & white. it works in one element's entirety agains others & not 'part of one element'. which, in the case of the railing tool, specifically with "No Breakmark: Visible" in it's Floor Plan Display Layout, i can't have the top of the railing tool be above level 1 floor, & at the same time have the bottom of the same railing tool be below the exact same level 1 floor.

there might be a work-around i haven't thought of apart from using masking fills or a 3D document looking down mimicing a floor plan.

AC25 | Win10 | 64 bit | 16Gb RAM |Intel i7 8700 @ 3.20Ghz

come join our unofficial Discord server
https://discord.gg/XGHjyvutt8
Solution
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin

Gerry correctly pointed out that this is a limitation: Display Order commands affect the whole element so either the whole Railing is above or below the Slab.

I can offer two workarounds. In the first, you split the Slab into two, and thanks to the new MVO option for Slab, the line where they meet can be eliminated on the Floor Plan. This results in two Slabs, which you can then move independently in Display Order to achieve different overlap situations on the two ends of the Railing.

Slab-RailingOverlap.png

Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin

The other workaround is to use a line and a fill to cover the lower end of the Railing.

Slab-RailingOverlap2.png