BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

how to move multiple floor to new location

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am designing a building complex that has several towers of the same design. My issue is that it was necessary to design some of the complex that adjoins to the towers. I have completed one of the towers and would now like to copy the tower to the locations of the other towers. What I am having trouble with is figuring out how to select just the tower and not the attached sections of the complex. Can this be done when in the floor plan design window? Any assistance is appreciated.

Regards,
Mike
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable
Use the renovation feature set to new only to isolate the tower
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you RodgerDodge. I was surprised that I only got one response to my question. Thinking that I wasn't going to get a response I decided to dig in and try lots of ways. In the floor plan layout window I couldn't figure out how to do it but I did finally figure a way to do it in the 3D view mode. What I found out was that if you rotate and move the building in the 3D view such that the view is almost the same as the floor plan view all it takes is to use the Marque tool (I used the rectangle option) to select the object in question. It should be noted that when using the rectangular marque tool it is important to make the selection by starting the box on the left and moving to the right to ensure that only objects within box are selected. Make the selection in the opposite order (ie. from right to left) the software will select every object the box touches (just like AutoCad does). Anyway, once the selection is completed the user just has to use the Move command to move or copy the selected objects to where they are needed. Again all of this is done while in the 3D view window. Just wished that there had been an article or example in the HELP information as it would have save me a lot of time.
Barry Kelly
DrWho wrote:
In the floor plan layout window I couldn't figure out how to do it but I did finally figure a way to do it in the 3D view mode. What I found out was that if you rotate and move the building in the 3D view such that the view is almost the same as the floor plan view all it takes is to use the Marque tool (I used the rectangle option) to select the object in question. It should be noted that when using the rectangular marque tool it is important to make the selection by starting the box on the left and moving to the right to ensure that only objects within box are selected. Make the selection in the opposite order (ie. from right to left) the software will select every object the box touches (just like AutoCad does).
This depends on how you have your selection arrow options set. This is probably the most useful method of selecting.
It applies to the irregular shape selection method as well and should also work in 2D.

You could also select the attached portion of your model and lock those elements (not the layers but the individual elements) so they can not be moved or copied.
If those elements are locked then it may make selecting your tower elements easier.
Of course they can be unlocked when you do need to edit them.

Use of layers and grouping of elements can also help when selecting elements so long as you model your towers and attached buildings in different layers and/or group elements as you model them.
Layers can also be locked if you do not want to turn them off.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Learn and get certified!