Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

how to select doors and windows in walls + bug report

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi !
1) Is there any chance to select door/window inside wall with any rectangular selection ?
regardless what selection method I'm choosing rectangle selects only entire wall , see image 1

2) after changing "floor plan cut plane" parameters and closing it , it dont save settings and after switching stories I have to adjust cut plane over and over again.
3 REPLIES 3
Hello Alex_Maya,

1 ) You do not need chance to use correctly Archicad tools. You are able to select easily Doors and Windows by cliking or using a selection zone. Doors and Windows are not elements like the others. They are linked to walls and its layer. So they are not really objet like a table or a chair. You should read this article : https://helpcenter.graphisoft.com/knowledgebase/119050/

2 ) Are you sure you are using a view into this tab ?
Christophe - FRANCE
Archicad Designer and Teacher
Archicad 15 to 27 FRA FULL

OS 11.6 Big Sur - MacBook Pro 2017 - 16Go RAM
"Quality is never an accident ; it's always the result of an intelligent effort" John Ruskin
Barry Kelly
Alex_Maya wrote:
1) Is there any chance to select door/window inside wall with any rectangular selection ?
regardless what selection method I'm choosing rectangle selects only entire wall , see image 1

No you can't select a door/window with a rectangular selection grab.
They belong to the wall and are not stand alone objects as Christophe mentioned.

You can just click on any of the corner or centre nodes (even though you can't see them before selection).
Or you can turn the 'Quick Selection' magnet on (the space bar is a toggle to temporarily turn this on or off).
With this on, as you pass the cursor over the door/window sitting in the wall, you will see a magnet.
This means you can select the door/window (it is using a background fill to allow you to select it).
This works for all other elements that have fills as well.

Alex_Maya wrote:
2) after changing "floor plan cut plane" parameters and closing it , it dont save settings and after switching stories I have to adjust cut plane over and over again.

Just changing the Floor Plan Cut Plane will not make it stick.
The FPCP is save in the settings of each plan view in the View Map.
So as soon as you activate one of those views you will activate the saved FPCP height.

If you change storeys via the Project Map then the FPCP height should not alter.

Choosing 'View Points' in the Project Map will not alter any of your settings - scale, Graphic Override, Renovation Filter, FPCP height, layers, etc.
Choosing a 'View' saved in the View Map will alter these settings as they are saved with each individual view.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Alex_Maya wrote:

Alex_Maya,

This is again a case of differences in the concepts of Revit and ARCHICAD.
In Revit, everything is a View, with its settings stored, so every time you activate a View, it will be displayed with its stored Settings or the settings stored in the View Template applied to the View.

In ARCHICAD, you have the concepts of Viewpoints (like Floor Plan, Section, 3D, etc.) and Views.
At any given point, a Viewpoint is displayed with certain View settings. There are "Global View Settings", which are just the current View settings (like Scale, Layer Combination, Floor Plan Cut Plane Settings, Model View Options, Renovation Filter, Graphic Overrides, Dimensions, etc.) the current Viewpoint is displayed with, and "View Settings" are those settings that are stored with saved View.
Views are defined as Viewpoints with a set of View Settings stored with them (so a View in ARCHICAD is actually the same as a View in Revit), so when you activate a View in the View Map of the Navigator (like Barry showed you), the settings stored in the View will be restored and you will get the exact representation that you saved previously.

However, this is not the case when you are not activating (restoring) a View, but simply switching from one Viewpoint to another in the Project Map of the Navigator, or when you just go up and down Stories, or when you switch back and forth between the Floor Plan and the 3D Viewpoint. In these cases, the so-called Global View Settings stay in effect. This is why you experienced this behavior.

This is an important concept to grasp early on if you do not plan to pull your hairs out because it is working so differently from Revit.

By the way, Revit also has something similar, not exactly the same, it is called Temporary View Properties or something, where you can actually temporarily alter the settings of a View without modifying the settings of the View Template applied to the View.
As I said, not exactly the same, but similar in that you are seeing a state that is not stored in a saved View.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27