Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

iMac ALT/Option key woes

Bruce
Expert
I've just switched from 15 years of using Archicad on PC, to now using it on Mac. It is an interesting learning curve.

One thing I've noticed is the double-up with the ALT (or Option) key.

The Option key is used for creating a copy when dragging. However, it is also used for zooming with a Magic Mouse, creating a temp origin mid-command (Option+Shift), and also locking to an axis (Option+X or Option+Y). This means I am often creating unwanted copies because I forget to un-copy after one of these commands.

Is there a way around this?
Bruce Walker
www.brucepwalker.com
Barking Dog BIM YouTube
Mindmeister Mindmap
-- since v8.1 --
AC27 5003 INT Full | Windows 11 64 Pro | 12th Gen Intel i7-12700H 2.30 GHz | 64 Gb RAM | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 32 Gb
15 REPLIES 15
Eduardo Rolon
Option + Shift is the one that I hate the most. The others I use or ignore.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Erwin Edel
Rockstar
Maybe make a wish for a 'windows hotkeys' work environment option for MAC.

Switching everything over to CTRL without leaving ALT for those who do like that or are used to it would probably be too jarring.

Having worked so long on a windows workstation, I'm not nearly as fast when sometimes working on our macbooks either and seem to find the '+' behaviour of ALT not as consistent as CTRL on windows.
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Tincan561
Contributor
Has anyone found a satisfactory solution to the Magic Mouse and AC23?
OS X Catalina does not support MagicPrefs, which I previously used for Shift+drag = Pan and had no issues.
I now now face the same problem you reference.
In non-3D views, I find that pressing both Shift+Option bypasses the eyedropper, which is so annoying to you, but is little consolation for Shift+drag that made the Magic Mouse an equivalent to a three button mouse.
Any other ideas with Magic Mouse
Archicad 26 Macbook Pro, Ventura 13.6.3
Eduardo Rolon
BetterTouchTool works with Catalina without issues.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

another Moderator

Tincan561
Contributor
I've downloaded the trial version and watched the instructional videos and am unable to find the correct gestures to replicate a three button mouse with the magic mouse and BTT. Would you be kind enough to post a screen shot of the BTT gestures to input. Thank you!
Archicad 26 Macbook Pro, Ventura 13.6.3
Eduardo Rolon
Here you go.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

another Moderator