BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

intersecting planes

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello.
I have the following planes, that need to intersect. I reached the last one (central in the picture), that needs to intersect all the previous ones.
I tried to build it as a simple, plain roof and then transform it into mesh. I moved the mesh points and it develops lines, because the plane gets divided.
All that I basically need to do is build a simple plane in 3D, that ideally contains all four points of intersection with all other planes, and then extrude it. How can I do that?
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable
I also attach the plan of the 3D picture shown earlier.
DGSketcher
Legend
If your roof mitres are exactly 45 degrees on plan then you appear from the 3D to have an inconsistent roof pitch or eaves level.
Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello.
Thank you for your answer. No, the roof mitres are not 45 degrees in plan. I do not know what to do next.
Anonymous
Not applicable
This is how it looks in 3D if I transform it into a morph and drag its corners.
3d.jpg
DGSketcher
Legend
A plane can only be consistently defined by three points. In your case there is a misalignment which requires the creation of a second triangle as the fourth point is not on the plane. The only way to keep the structure and hide the line would be by converting that part of the roof to a morph and using the tools to hide the edge. The split in the plane would still exist though.
Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
DGSketcher
Legend
One further thought... Are you working on an existing building? Have you considered "correcting" the survey dimensions to square up the walls so you have 45 degree mitres and I assume a common eaves wall height?
Learn and get certified!