Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

invisable columns

Jefferson
Participant
Here's a good one---

I have covered porch with 10x10 columns, outline pens for plan, section and 3d set to the same heavy black.

They all appear in plan and 3d, NO apperant outline pen in 3d, I can live with that, I don't like it but I can live with it. However when just the columns are selected and displayed in the 3d window the proper outline pen is displayed, as it should be.

The greater and more troubling thing is the columns in my elevations/sections, where there is anything behind them, are not outlined at all!

I have vectoral shadows set on, and the cast shadows are there!

I have also checked and even reset {modified} my layer combos to insure that the columns are"on".

A short reminder that I am working in ver 7. Any ideas, I have presentations to make early this week and I can work around this if I have to, but I'd like to know WHY this is hapening.
jeff white
w3d design

AC 23 Solo US / current build & library
Windoze 10 Pro 64
HP ZBook 17 G4
Intel Zeon 3.0
Twin 2GB SSD
32 GB memory

http://w3d-design.com
15 REPLIES 15
Anonymous
Not applicable
Jefferson wrote:
Here's a good one---

I have covered porch with 10x10 columns, outline pens for plan, section and 3d set to the same heavy black.
You sure they're 10 x 10 square columns, and you haven't accidentally hit the circular column option? Circular columns tend to give problems because they don't have vertical 'edges'.

Kim

P.S. Why don't you attach a screen capture so we can see what you mean?
Jefferson
Participant
Hey Kim,

Nope, square columns.

I"ll give it a try posting both the info box and a cropped elevation with some columns selected. You'll see that the selection dots indicate the way the columns are being "seen". Note the lack of outline pen on the "inside" columns. They all have the same settings, verified and reverified.

Puzzling to say the least.

It appears that I cannot attach more than one attachment at a time........................more in a second......................
elevation.jpg
jeff white
w3d design

Windoze 10 Pro 64
HP ZBook 17 G4
Intel Zeon 3.0
Twin 2GB SSD
32 GB memory

Jefferson
Participant
object info box................this is certainly a step up from e-scribe

Are you watching Link?
palette.jpg
jeff white
w3d design

Windoze 10 Pro 64
HP ZBook 17 G4
Intel Zeon 3.0
Twin 2GB SSD
32 GB memory

David Pacifico
Booster
Try making your column or wall (those low walls) not occupy the same space. [I'm not saying it's a good answer]
David Pacifico, RA

AC27 iMac i9, 32 gig Ram, 8 gig video Ram
Jefferson
Participant
David,
That was it. I cut one of the low walls and checked it and all was well. To compensate I used the slab tool to model the wall's replacement.

So the intersections priorities of posts and walls, I thought I had that dialed in but..................walls @ 10, columns @ 12, beams @ 7. I worked on understanding this because when I first began to model the "holes" in walls gave me fits until I figured out how to adjust the priorites.

I take it I still have something wrong, or can't you do what I was trying here in ver 7?

Regardless thank you.
jeff white
w3d design

Windoze 10 Pro 64
HP ZBook 17 G4
Intel Zeon 3.0
Twin 2GB SSD
32 GB memory

Anonymous
Not applicable
Jefferson wrote:
I"ll give it a try posting both the info box and a cropped elevation with some columns selected. You'll see that the selection dots indicate the way the columns are being "seen". Note the lack of outline pen on the "inside" columns. They all have the same settings, verified and reverified.
Yes. Very strange. It seems to me to have something to do with the shadows - how does it generate when the shadows are turned off? Any improvement?

Won't be online again for a few hours. (it's 2:20am here)

Kim
Jefferson
Participant
That would be WAY past bedtime for this dog......................

The shadows were a non factor. David's call on the wall, I'm thinking, is the governing factor. But how and why?

"Only the Shadow knows", sorry couldn't resist.

check this out.................................the low wall on the right is now a slab, all the rest are still walls, the corner column works as desired the, the two captured in the slab as well while the rest are "invisable".
jeff white
w3d design

Windoze 10 Pro 64
HP ZBook 17 G4
Intel Zeon 3.0
Twin 2GB SSD
32 GB memory

Anonymous
Not applicable
You sure don't have duplicates?

set the 3d report to detailed (options/preferences /imaging and calculation) and check report after a rebuild....

just wild guesses...
Djordje
Ace
Jefferson wrote:
The shadows were a non factor. David's call on the wall, I'm thinking, is the governing factor. But how and why?
This most often happens because of the duplicates, and also - check your wall/column wrapping. That can often be a culprit.

You don't have to delete the walls - just butt them into columns, having multiple instead of one wall.

HTH,
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen